Bearings?

Wheels bearings that are worn make a “humming”, “whirring” or “soft rumbling” noise that comes from the corner affected.

If you have one affected, what you need to do is listen for it to find out if it is coming from the front or rear. Then, find a parking lot, make some hard right and hard left turns. While making the turns, the sound should get louder, or disappear, depending on whether the faulty bearing is under load (louder) or not (quiet).

So for example, if the humming is from the rear and gets louder during a hard right and vanishes during a hard left, then you know that it’s your rear-passenger wheel bearing.

breathes Whew. Did that make any sense? :wink:

EDIT: UNLESSSSSSSS it’s your leather-seat-lumbar-super-support-adjuster-bearing…then you’re screwed!

Yeah, you shouldn’t need to hard park it to find out.

Just pay attention on the highway. Take a long sweeping off ramp, or some kind of long gradual turn.

If it starts to hum when you turn a bit to the left or right but goes quiet when the wheel is centred, your bearings are going.

They make themselves more and more noticeable after time.

My buddy’s Neon went 3 years and a lot of KMs on very noisy bearings without problems.

But my other friend’s Tempo literally went from making a bit of noise, to making a lot of noise to major front end damage all in one day.

You DO NOT want your bearing to lock up at speed :wink:

It will kinda of sound like “whroaaaahrrhhchrcccahh” but more rolly…

Try taking a barrel, put some sand and rocks in it, then roll it down the street. Thats how mine sounded, got louder the faster you go.

It also may resemble the sound of driving on packed down snow.

Thanks guys, i’m in tears!

hahahaha