Bennyfizzle's dicktone 318i build thread.

I dont understand how it didnt lower if you spun the coilovers down. What kind of dumpy setup do you have?

if the dampers a nice and stiff and brand new and there really isnt any weight in the car the dampers will hold the car up withou compressing the spring at all

True but does he only have one collar to adjust? I can adjust two collars, one for the spring and another for the lower perch

Why is this thing looking 4x4 status?

Perch was spun but “After” pic was taken with jack stands still under car!? :ponder

j/k B-Fizzle… Enlighten us though

Well, they ARE brand new coilovers, however the spring lengths play a huge role here.

however, the motor and tranny is only like 450lbs, and me standing on the front subframe hardly budges the suspension. so i dont think its JUST because they havent settled.

the fronts I are fully threaded damper bodies, I could put the front subframe on the ground if I wanted to. so no problem there.

the rears springs are just too tall I think, BC offers an almost infinite amount of rate/length/spring type combinations.

I’m going to pull out the rear adjusters and see where that gets me, if it’s not low enough, the dude that sold me the coilovers, a D1/formula D drifter named Chelsea DeNofa, said I could swap springs out through him for basically just the cost of shipping, to a shorter spring.

I think without the adjusters it will be just about perfect though.

Spring length is the issue, springs dont settle. And you’re going to want the adjusters in there for drifting.

why?

Because. Just listen to the man will ya.

All he cares about is shaving tenths of seconds off of his times at race tracks.

All I care about is that I tuck some tire and rub some fender.

Oh, and it turns out I don’t have a lightweight flywheel.

sooo just ordered one, and ordered the last of the stuff i need to finish up…I hope, because I’m fucking tapped out.

Buy my baller status rear strut bar

No I’m trying to make your car actually handle so you can go win some drift meets or festivals or orgies or whatever you people call it. If someone set a car up for drifting an an amateur level, a monkey could dominate the field.

Wait so you’re saying I have a chance?

Cannot WAIT for the first drift festival this year.

:facepalm

Only drifters could find something to do with cars on a closed course and make it non-competitive.

Well that’s how it is, even when it’s competitive it’s on a subjective basis.

That being said, it’s really skill first, mechanical advantage next.

You can have a 400whp S13 that’s set up like dog shit go out and murder a 600whp purpose built D1 car if you’re willing to fucking boss on that shit.

In this ‘sport’, a better handling car is just a car that will initiate predictably, and hold a monster angle at a high speed. I havent even gotten out of second gear yet, I don’t need to worry about picking up speed or angle right now. As I progress, I’ll change the car to suit my needs.

You didn’t START in a JP car on JRZs, did you? :tongue

I completely agree, and no I didnt start on JRZs. :smiley:

However, Ive been to a handful of small drifting events and I havent seen a single car setup to slide other than crazy camber angles probably meant for show. The pro D1 whatever cars slide effortlessly through a corner not wholly because the driver in the man, but because the car is setup to do that. Considering you’re making a car do what BMW, Nissan, Mazda, etc tried very hard to keep it from doing, mechanical changes would make life a lot easier. With a couple of wrenches and sockets, you could turn your normal daily driver champagne supernova into something that a blind Chinese woman could slide all day with one finger on the wheel.

I give you guys a lot of car control credit because you’re sliding cars that constantly want to snap back at you because to get it to slide in the first place you had to manhandle it and kick its ass to initiate in the first place.

[/thread hijack]

:rofl