BMW 1 Series Discussion Thread (128i/135i)

I will be driving one of these in a couple years. let the heat die down first

its ridiculously heavy. thats just plain stupid to make it within 100lbs than its larger brother. thats not a throwback to the older, lighter 3 series of the 80’s and 90’s, thats just a waste of time driven by marketing and illusion. BMW really is gay.

Brian

why doesn’t bmw offer a lsd option on non m cars?

they used to with the winter/snow packages, idk if they still do

i want to see where the price of used 335’s will be when the 1 series is released.

Not defending heavy cars, the lighter the better for me.

However, with all modern safety regulations and equipment, its very hard to get any car decently light anymore.

i wanna see people drop 250lbs out of this car…

i gotta buy myself something moderately sensible, this car seems to fit the disguise.

The difficult thing about gutting a BMW is that it has already been engineered with a 50/50 weight distribution. As soon as you start pulling anything substantial you start to change the handling dynamics.

weight loss is good no matter what… even it it goes to 55 / 45 but it 200lbs lighter it will still be superior in everyway.

i bet just buy going with aluminum hardware coilovers, some BBS or CCW meshies and non-heated reclinable racing seats you will reduce about 100lbs out of the thing.

With the traction control technology out there now, they probably figure the LSD is not required for a street-driven car. I tend to agree unless you are in various climates like Buffalo and like snow…

i know safety crap adds some weight but 3400lbs is ridiculous. chevy got the z06 to 3132… BMW could have tried harder. im not impressed.

Brian

Yea but the Z06 is also lighter than the regular 'vette with added expense in doing so. They could lighten up the 1-series but it would drive up the price more than its already not-that-low price. I’m sure if we see an M1 it will have some interesting weight figures. Personally, I’d like the sound deadening as if people want a race car…the M1 or something else would fit the bill.

give me a G35 coupe or new CTS for that much in a heartbeat over this little thing.

There already was an M1. I don’t think BMW will put that moniker on this car, but I get your point.

i agree that when they go the extra mile to make something lighter, it becomes more expensive, the price wasnt my gripe. it was the weight vs the hype of a compact BMW like what was offered in the past. its all that luxury stuff that makes it a lard. oh well.

Brian