Build Blog Intro

Hey all

I’ve posted an introduction on the forums before but I’d like to invite you all to my build blog.

http://www.awdu13.wordpress.com

I promised myself I would be more active in updates for the New Year and I’m following through with my resolution.

I’ll be covering composite work. engine work. fabrication and digital design.

Please subscribe to my blog and stay tuned for more updates.
Your advice is very much appreciated. Suggestions will be taken into consideration and comments are valued dearly!

Cheers!

• Billy

subscribed, love the diy work!

heh i remember u i sold u a buncha z32 stuff i think brakes and some other things here n there, that’s been a project on the go for quite some time , havent forgotten it but since there were so few updates kinda stopped checking the forum

Btw, i saw one of these on ebay, no one believed me lol it said jdm ka24de i was like WHAT… and your blog is the second time i’ve seen it :slight_smile:

http://awdu13.files.wordpress.com/2011/01/rnessa_valve_cover.jpg?w=640&h=480

Cool, someone else following the Bailey Blade build…

For all those hours of sanding and fabricating. They could have paid a firm to cnc some of the panels for mold production for the same cost but less time.

Laid down my first layer of Carbon Fiber today. The stuff is very tricky to work with.

Crankshaft has been knife edged

http://awdu13.files.wordpress.com/2011/02/knife_edge_04.jpg?w=640&h=480

More info in the blog!

nice work on that crankshaft but doesn’t taking off that material have some adverse effect?
I mean, why wouldn’t they just come shipped like that if the advantages are like you say they are.

This is what I think.
The added weight keeps the inertia up so it can idle at a relatively low rpm. The more material removed. The lighter it becomes. Which would have less rotating mass. So it wouldn’t be able to keep enough inertia to keep spinning at low rpm. The trade off being able to rev higher more quickly.
I’m pretty sure 99% of the population driving a car doesn’t car about that stuff. Nor would OEM’s really want to shell out for the extra machining involved.

On top of that. The knife edged crank will cause less turbulence in the crank case. I haven’t read the blog so I don’t know if any of this is mentioned in it.

he mentioned the decrease in turbulence which i thought to be a great benefit on the efficiency side of things, and wouldn’t the mass decrease in general increase efficiency? I dunno bout this too much but just wondering cause it would make sense that this be done to all crankshafts.

The decrease in mass increases efficiency but takes away from inertia. There isn’t really a right and a wrong in this instance, at least, not that I think of. it’s really preference. I would say the same arguments go towards Flywheels. To lighten, or not to lighten.

what’re your plans for this car after the build is complete?

I’m planning on running time attack. Until that time i’ll be running my mild manored m3 at the track.