Buying an FMIC online

Just curious as to where a REPUTABLE place to go would be.

This is for a friend. He’s willing to spend a good buck on something good, as long as it’s reasonable. We just want a core, end tanks we will buy seperately unless they come out on the bottom of the IC.

Post up some links. No ebay shit.

Actually, i bought mine from e-bay.

bar and plate, pretty decent, cheap too, like 200 shipped.

^ same here

Can’t go wrong with a PTE Intercooler. They are sold around at lots of places including Hybrid and Innovative. Most of the IC’s that are sold on Ebay are coming from China. Beware of core size vs. endtank size, etc…

Custom from http://www.bellintercoolers.com/

Do it right, or, um, don’t.

On point. Thanks.

If you want an extremely customized IC, go that route but they are rather expensive compared to the rest.

I see that now…seems steep. I used to have a few sites similar to that in style, a ton of sizes with some flow rates alongside. I think that for what he’s looking for, that might be a bit much. Any other sites with lists of sizes and price?

Bell will design the intercooler to your specifications. They are very helpful about getting you a properly sized intercoller that will work the best for your application.

Bigger and cheaper /= mo better.

If it helps any, we can fit a 3" thick core, 30" long including. endtanks, and up to 8" tall.

Not saying thats what we want- thats huge for the turbo application. This is going to be a Mazdaspeed Miata, plans are to be capable of flowing around 300whp tops.

A good size would appear to be (for the core): 18" wide, 7" tall, and 2.5" deep.

If you guys can suggest something, link me up :slight_smile:

http://www.precisionturbo.net/intercoolers-display.php?company_id=101795&category_id=3013

Bell probably has some of the best IC’s out there but that comes at a higher pricetag than the rest. You can get away with a larger, less efficient core (which is still pretty good) to yeild the same cooling results at a lower cost. If you have the realestate on the car to do so, you can probably not spend huge bux to reach your goals.

yeah…I posted up above what we could fit and what we were expecting to work best.

I used to have a link of some really good intercoolers, JoesTypeS gave to me long ago, but it was over IM so I don’t have a way of getting it back.

The PTE would work, but it’s not exactly the best size, so I’m still searching.

I have some that are 3.5" D x 7" H x 28 W End tank to end tank (22" core). Bar and plate. Work VERY well.

They might cool very well but you are going to induce a good amount of lag when you get into the thicker IC cores. Some people don’t care, some people take it FWIT, but it’s something to keep in mind.

It also depends on the turbo used, and the CFM rates of both the turbo and the intercooler. Not to mention the more core area you have, the more potential to have cooling effect, to an extent. True it may induce a tad more lag, but pay dividends in cooling factor versus a smaller intercooler that fills quickly but does not offer sufficient cooling capacity.

why dont you buy a nice core and give some business to Matt(lowlyoilburner) by having him build some endtanks. I hear he has experience working for an IC company anyway.

Exactly what we’re doing. I send tons of business to him, we’re good friends.

no more bucktooth?

The two people that I know that have used Bell paid ~$600. To me, a custom intercooler, to the size and specs you want, with whatever end tanks you want, is worth $600.

:shrug: