Carbon Fiber tubing...

Anyone ever work with it before?

Any thoughts on joining two or more sections of tubing with an easy way to disassemble it, such as threading it somehow?

Tubing no, but I’ve witnessed Elliot work with CF and it appeared to be a mess.

Especially the part with us going to the supermarket and buying only rubber gloves, and hot dog buns.

:rofl :rofl

:rofl
I can imagine the look on the cashiers face!

if its thick walled, I think you can thread it. what are you making? Tie rods?

I was thinking of making a male insert to epoxy into the tube somehow too. Could I bond aluminum to the CF somehow to use that as a threaded connection?

This is what I plan on using it for. Im sick of my aluminum tubing sections. You can see in the shot below they fasten together with band clamps, I managed to strip 3 of them last year. Plus CF should be as strong or if not stronger than the aluminum and much lighter so I wont have as much diving board action going on.

Yea, big aluminum tube is scary. :eek2

This.

CF tubing with no visible connections (clamps) would be a little more forgiving IF the rig let go, which hasn’t happened yet but it still makes me paranoid as fuck.

You could always make aluminum slip into the CF tube and pin it together

How long is the boom?

Yeah you can bond stuff to CF. I am sure Adam will chime in here. In my head make the part fit nice inside the CF and then sand blast the aluminum with 120 or something to promote mechanical adhesion.

http://www.carbonfibertubeshop.com/cut%20&%20bond.html

Camera Boom :lol

http://www.carbonfibertubeshop.com/bonded%20assemblies.html

Ideally i would be looking for 12 to 15 feet total, 14 would be perfect.

Gotcha, thats kinda what I was thinking too.

Holy shit! +rep
How the sections go together is another question. I dont want to section falling out during a shot.

Looks like its a pin that goes through both sides?

Yeah a pin, one guy used Velcro too :lol

The velcro would have me worried lol.

After reading the article I saw the pins. I wonder if there is another option…

You could get aluminum bushings machined to thread into each other. Probably just costs more for the machining time.

True.
My friend works at a machine shop so that wouldnt be an issue.

I think that may be the best route to go. Aluminum threaded bushings inside the CF tubes. That way there are no pins to lose or other parts.

pins would be fine shits not going to stress crack or anything. They use that shit in movies all the time I know a kid who does that stuff. All his ish if CF so he can stand there and hold it for a 14 hour day without his arms falling off

No you cannot thread carbon tubing without creating stress cracking issues. Carbon tubing for this type of application will have a minimal amount of surface epoxy(~.050").

You can bond aluminum inserts into the carbon tubing but must not have any contact between the actual carbon and aluminum parts or you will get high corrosion at the joint. Pending tubing thickness the insert needs to protrude into the tube 2-3" minimum.

Carbon tubing will dent the side of a car just as bad as any aluminum tubing would if the rig let go. If anything, worse because the thin wall aluminum tubing would actually give a little whereas the carbon tubing would not. If you’re worried about that, wrap the thing in light density foam padding(like the cheap shit used to insulate heated pipes under houses…buy at lowes)

Clevis pinned joints are fine, as long as there is an male/female aluminum insert at the connection points to take the load.

I knew you would have an answer! :thumbup
I gotta give this more thought then, maybe pins would work just as well and then I wouldnt need aluminum threaded bushings. Hmmm…