carburator guys help (tuning)

anyone know where i should start as far as jets/metering rods for a big camm’d 350 with an edelbrock performer 650 carb? i know it was originally jetted for a 383 mopar and it’s running really rich but i don’t know where to start and all the tuning articles i’ve been reading say “go % if running blah blah” but that’s if you’re already in the ballpark which i’m not…i need a starting point

your question is a little to general. Do you have a rod and jet kit?

Your already at a starting point. Too rich. lean it out :spank:

i know that but dont’ you buy kits based on how rich or lean you want to go? or does the kit contain every combination you can go with…i know i have to lean it out…are the screws on the front solely for idle mixture?

i did find that of the 3 positions the accelerator pump was set for “max” so i’m guessing that’s why it hesitates and “pops” once in a while off the line

soley idle. Set them once and quick fuckin with them. I know some people that will dick with idle skrews eternaly. The kit should come with a very wide range of tunability. You need to get that. Figure out how its running on both steps of the metering rod. Put larger dia rods in untill you have the largest possible. still rich change your primary jets. Rods are Soooo easy to change.

when you say set to max. is it set farthest out or closest to the main body. Hesitation and pop usualy means lean misfire.

the accelerator pump hole closed to the main body is the max plunger travel

i just wish i had a starting point so that i dind’t have to keep workin backwards so much…truck runs decent but could be better…idle is all screwed up with that cam, you put it in gear and it dies.

i’ll order the kit then and see what happens, so you’re saying start out by putting the biggest rod i can in and see if that fixes it before changing the jet size

I got so tired of fucking with my Quadrajunk that I bought a Holley Street Avenger… If it wasn’t tuning it was idle if it wasn’t idle it was rich/lean mixture or something else. Plus, they don’t make a throttle bracket for a Quadrajunk that allows you to run a 700r4. Retarded.

Hello Holley, just gotta find time to put it on now.

i dont’ have a quadrajet and i hated dicking with the 2 holly’s i had they NEVER worked right for me

http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive/eps_sect2.html

at the bottom. go to one of the tuning charts. You have to use the same one as the # of your carb. ie 1404 or 1406.

In dead center of the chart is base setting. Verify that what you have in your carb. If not then make it that way. Then do your driving test.

If you want it richer in power mode only then move right, and not vertically on the chart. The number to the right will refer you to what rod you need to make it richer on just power mode. If you want richer on power and leaner on cruise, then you move right and down. check the number and put referenced rods/jets in. check agian.

what ever you do, don’t switch to holley. thats just admitting that an edlebrock is to smart for you. hahaha. Alot of people get themselves into trouble with too much to adjust. Just start at one point and don’t go backwards. Set your floats, set your idle, set your timing, set your choke,set your cruise, set your power, set your step up… Then don’t go back and fuck with the idle skrews unless there is a reason. Like 30 degree wether change.

floats, idel, timing, choke is all set it’s the rest i’m not familiar with yet.