Careful buying those knock-off / replica wheels...

Sure they were cheap (850$ for the set) and look alright on my car but the quality is not even close to what it should be. Today I ran over a rock on the Palisades going about 70mph. It cracked my rim and all air was lost within seconds and this occurred on a wide turn in the road so the back end began loosing traction and the whole car felt like it was about to spin. Luckily I put the hazards on, slowed down and pulled over. Wanna know the fucked up part? My tire is FINE. Absolutely no damage to it other than a very very small chunk of rubber missing. Sure it’s my fault that I ran over the rock, but it was either run over the rock or swerve into an occupied lane.

XXR 530 Wheels:

I am curious what the tire pressure was before impact, and the shape of the rock.

damn that sucks sometimes it really pays to spend the coin on a good wheel…OT… but where is this picture taken? I didnt even know you could get GT86s here in the states yet. Ive only seen br-z’s and fr-s’s here.

With that much weight to balance its a little obvious the metal was thinner on that side. Coincidence?

Palisades Highway, downstate NY. It probably just has some l33t JDM mods.

Something tells me that it wouldn’t have mattered if they were replica wheels or not. That’s an insane amount of damage for running over a rock so my first reaction is that I’d like to know how big that rock was.

Look at that big pores in the aluminum,
I would say you are lucky that you took the hit in the middle of the rim. If it was little more to either side, the rim will probably shatter into pieces.

I think I saw XXR rims few years ago at the tires shop and the quality of the cast wasn’t this bad, or maybe I just didn’t pay to much attention.

Hahaha “l33t” you’re probably right though. This one, minus the crap wheels makes me miss mine soo much :frowning:

I can’t blame that on the wheel quality. I don’t think many wheels would have survived the exact situation. He had to have been very low on air.

Had XXRs for two years…no problems. That looks like the wheel started to corrode, probably front salt.

I’m willing to bet it was bigger than a rock that you typically see on road. Possibly a brick maybe.

when I worked at goodyear a ford ranger came it with a destroyed front wheel. I don’t know how it happened but there was a railroad spike through the tire and through the center of the rim similar in placement to the damage in this wheel except there was a railroad spike sticking through it. My mind was blown.