Chevy Volt

I’d imagine that many of the vehicles will be charged at night, when demand on the grid is lower.

Think about the resulting electric bill this way: what’s easier to increase the efficiency of, millions of gasoline (or any other resource, really) powered engines, or one power plant? As new technologies become available (higher density solar, more efficient wind turbines, fusion power, etc.), we’ll further increase the efficiency and decrease the resulting emissions. Investing in the power grid by purchasing electricity to power vehicles will allow these technologies to come to fruition by consumer demand.

All this means my electric bill will increase, even though I will never own one of these shitboxes.

Turbo Deisel Automobiles FTW

ummm… not really? you don’t rely on need to increase supply, you increase the demand by producing something people actually want to allow for the supply to be made… basic economics. You don’t just leverage an unproven and not cost worthy technology because it’s easier…lol. your argument sounds great in theory but is stupid to even say, the ability to create and leverage power without using coal is just not realistic. Gasoline is not the devil and oil supplies are not only abundent but are now being proposed as a renewable resource :rofl:

Innovation is great and moving forward with a secondary power source is fine, but assuming that the existing infrastructure can sustain what is being proposed is stupid. So when a storm knocks out our entertainment, communications and electricity, it is going to also effect our transportation??? no thanks. making a car drive on an alternative power or secondary power is well and good, the whole process of creating these resources and making them fully availible is not something that is going to happen over night, or in our life time.

i swear i read that Gas stations weren’t around 50 years ago in this thread??? who is smoking what? 50 years ago it was 1959 :rofl: plenty of gas stations.

really? you’re dismissing the viability of electric cars because of storm related power outages? :rofl:

And fuck coal. Natural gas can run power plants cheaper and cleaner than coal ever could.

its’ an example that hits home to all electric providers dickwad. i’m not dismissive, but leverage this new technology with the fact that if the power plant has issues (thousands reported monthly) then you aren’t driving anywhere until it’s fixed, unless you have a gas / diesel generator :kekegay:

fuck coal ROFL!!!

i’m glad you are riding the new ken natty gas train, but realize that coal is the backbone of all industrialized power sources. associated natural gas comes from coal beds. some natural gas production requires coal (town gas) and coal byproducts creates more power with only 15% more carbon emissions(not to mention if you spill coal you pick it up, if you spill natrual gas it poisons the environment)… so cleaner maybe, but not cheaper. Oh and it’s much more potent of a poison than carbon dioxide could ever be, when released into the atmosphere… but fuck it right?

OMG i know my power goes out thousands of times per month. It’s so annoying.

fuck coal ROFL!!!

i’m glad you are riding the new ken natty gas train, but realize that coal is the backbone of all industrialized power sources. associated natural gas comes from coal beds. some natural gas production requires coal (town gas) and coal byproducts creates more power with only 15% more carbon emissions(not to mention if you spill coal you pick it up, if you spill natrual gas it poisons the environment)… so cleaner maybe, but not cheaper. Oh and it’s much more potent of a poison than carbon dioxide could ever be, when released into the atmosphere… but fuck it right?

Coal bed methane is a fucking joke. Natural gas production doesn’t require coal… :ugh2:

You may be able to pick up coal if you drop it, but how much of a carbon footprint/environmental impact is there when you really measure it? Huge tracts of land destroyed. hundreds of thousands of coal trucks running around constantly…

Coal Mining:

vs.

Natural Gas:

Lol, that was me…it was supposed to be 80, not 50 years ago. Even though the first in the US was 1905

darkstar, the environmental impact of coal is 15% more than Natural gas, unless you take into account accidental natural gas exposure to our atmosphere, then coal contamination pales in comparision… the inital point was i making.

coal mining it taking something from the earth, so is natural gas… ironically, where do most natural gas pockets exist??? Free flowing gas formations are limited in the US and pulling gas is a lot more of an impact than a white period in a thread on pittspeed. :slight_smile: just because you can’t see it, doesn’t mean it’s not impacting, reducing or totally removing that gas pressure causes shifts and subsidence

Good to know Consol Energy’s advertising dollars aren’t going to waste

15% of your made up statistics are made up.

coal mining it taking something from the earth, so is natural gas…

rape and consensual sex are both putting a cock into a vagina… Practically the same thing, right? :ugh2:

ironically, where do most natural gas pockets exist???

In shale and sand formations nowhere near coal deposits. coal bed methane is a fucking joke.

Free flowing gas formations are limited in the US
no, they aren’t. Natural gas is overwhelmingly abundant. The Marcellus shale 7,000 feet below your shoes contains 10 trillion dollars worth of recoverable natural gas. Enough to meet the entire countries demand for 5-10 years. Thats ONE formation in ONE area.

and pulling gas is a lot more of an impact than a white period in a thread on pittspeed. :slight_smile: just because you can’t see it, doesn’t mean it’s not impacting, reducing or totally removing that gas pressure causes shifts and subsidence

:rofl:

God you have no fucking clue what you’re talking about, do you? the removal of natural gas from formations over a mile underneath the surface has NO IMPACT WHATSOEVER on the surface. No shifts. No subsidence.

But do you know what DOES cause shifts and subsidence? Coal mines.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

http://www.sosbluewaters.org/Rio_tinto_river_CarolStoker_NASA_Ames_Research_Center.jpg

shut the fuck up and hang yourself

doesnt cali always have probs with power outages…and thats where most of the fruits that want electric cars will be…

darkstain

arguing with you is a never-ending battle… we both pick and choose arguments but at least mine aren’t fallacy. Anyway you’re an idiot… sure mine subsidence is OBVIOUSLY most well known, well because i don’t know commercial COAL EXTRACTION is everywhere and has been for many many many more years than natural gas and at a huge and unimaginable scale.

1. lets review long term natural gas extraction and the subsidence issues surrounding: If natural gas is extracted from a natural gas field the initial pressure (up to 600 bar) in the field will drop over the years. The gas pressure also supports the soil layers above the field. If the pressure drops, the soil pressure increases and this leads to subsidence at the ground level. Since exploration of the Slochteren (Netherlands) gas field started in the late 1960s the ground level over a 250 km² area has dropped with a current maximum of 30 cm [3]. See also this subsidence lecture.

2. not to add definition or clarity to the arguement, here are the facts: Fossil natural gas can be “associated” (found in oil fields) or “non-associated” (isolated in natural gas fields), and is also found in coal beds (as coalbed methane).

my tounge in cheek comment was more so drawn at the drilling for oil finds the associated gas pockets, but you thought i was referring to methane, noted, but in reality still both funny to me.

the Marcellus shale is great and all… but per unit of gas per acre, it isn’t all that incredible.

and there are tons of power outages monthly… circuts go down, grids over load… people suffer from it and to date it’s communications and electric… lets compound the outages issues by making it even more of a single point of failure :ugh:

Lets copy and paste stuff from Wikipedia that supports our opinion. I’ll go first… wait, shit. You already did:

The possibility of land “sagging” 30cm from the extraction of natural gas (that’s about a foot) over 40 years vs. destroying soil/vegetation/wildlife habitat/etc. I dunno!

I can’t recall the last time I “suffered” from a power outage. I think my power has gone out a cumulative total of ten minutes over the last year or so.

BAWWWWWWWWW :love:

Have you ever fucked a hot girl? I think you need it… they will slap that godly overtone out of you; but I think you get off more on the overtone than women. Weird ~ but to each his own. :blue:

You just picked the wrong battle. My job is know and sell the idea of natural gas to the public. I’m fucking good at it. You, on the other hand, don’t know your asshole from a hole in the ground. No pun intended.

Mine subsidence is more well known because it’s actually a fucking problem. Whether the entire state of PA droops 10 centimeters over a hundred years really doesn’t matter. It has no impact on anyone or anything. People’s houses falling into gaping holes in the ground because of coal companies playing Jenga underneath towns does actually have an impact. The fact that you even tried to bring up subsidence in an argument between coal and NG is HILAIROUS. I mean christ they fun PSA’s about state run subsidence insurance its gotten so bad… :rofl:

1. lets review long term natural gas extraction and the subsidence issues surrounding: If natural gas is extracted from a natural gas field the initial pressure (up to 600 bar) in the field will drop over the years. The gas pressure also supports the soil layers above the field. If the pressure drops, the soil pressure increases and this leads to subsidence at the ground level. Since exploration of the Slochteren (Netherlands) gas field started in the late 1960s the ground level over a 250 km² area has dropped with a current maximum of 30 cm [3]. See also this subsidence lecture.

Explain to me how the affects anything.

1. not to add definition or clarity to the arguement, here are the facts: Fossil natural gas can be “associated” (found in oil fields) or “non-associated” (isolated in natural gas fields), and is also found in coal beds (as coalbed methane).

my tounge in cheek comment was more so drawn at the drilling for oil finds the associated gas pockets, but you thought i was referring to methane, noted, but in reality still both funny to me.

If you knew anything about this, which I previously mentioned it becoming quite obvious, then you would know that PA is just about sucked clean of oil. Natural gas, on the other hand, is going to bring jobs and prosperity back to Western PA that will make the steel era look meek in comparison.

the Marcellus shale is great and all… but per unit of gas per acre, it isn’t all that incredible.

Really, so why were Range Resources, Chesapeake, Devon, North Coast, etc. all offering people $2,000-$3,500 per acre, just to acquire the right to be able to drill in Western PA… and also offering increased royalty payments up to 20%… in an area where no one has ever got more than the state mandated 12.5%.

Why, because the Marcellus Shale is one of the most economical places to drill in the country in terms of gas per acre per dollar spent. Chesapeake spent in excess of 2.2 billion in the Marcellus play in FY2008. People were getting $10K per acre down in the Barnett Shale play, but that has to do more with the pipeline infrastructure that already exists there, allowing companies to flow more gas out of their wells. Once the big pipeline projects are complete in Western PA, it’s going to fuck your shit up royally. Like in 50 years people will have forgot that we even fucking made steel.

and there are tons of power outages monthly… circuts go down, grids over load… people suffer from it and to date it’s communications and electric… lets compound the outages issues by making it even more of a single point of failure :ugh:

You’re so fucking full of shit. Maybe out in California, but not most places. And do you know what does it out in Cali? Air conditioners. To charge the battery on a car you’re not pulling out a lot of current. It’s trickling in. It’s the high-draw appliances that fuck up a power grid.

Do I get bonus points for not having to look anything up on fucking Wikipedia? :rofl:

if Darkstar was in coal,the Coal would be the best!:rolleyes:

My little brother just got a job at consol, I hope darkstar isn’t too good at his job for at least 50-60 more years until he retires. :slight_smile:

Both are good forms of power. Both have their +'s and -'s. I doubt either of them are going anywhere for a real long time.

i guess i should make a poll to be fair, most dudes on here should have a personal opinion… but i dunno… your mom is rather attractive… right?

and? open source encylopedias aren’t obviously the bestest source for info…?

no… sales propaganda is pure opinion… no sources needed! lol… basic googling of shit shows the opposition, hence the quotes… i’m hoping natural gas makes you a baller, but to consider it a coal replacement might be preemptive eh? the subsidence argument is weak but the numbers will raise with the higher rates of gas extraction… 2. powering a car vs. ac unit is great and all… i’d rather be hot then without transportation :nuts: douche

No sales propaganda. Just factual information. Of course I’m not surprised that you can’t tell the difference. but good job trying to slink quietly out of this discussion.

But, in case you actually want to inform yourself about the subject a little bit, you can check out www.pamarcellus.com