The Volt got leaked

Says a fan of the transformers movie video taped the car being uncovered and driving away under it’s own power. Looks a lot different than the concept from what I can see.

http://www.autobloggreen.com/media/2008/08/005_voltspyprod.jpg

http://www.autoblog.com/media/2008/08/volt_2_opt.jpg

http://www.autobloggreen.com/media/2008/08/voltfrontxg-grab.jpg

there is going to be transformers two?

and,

since this is presumably a vehicle for the movie - what’s to say it’s actually a 100% functional Volt in OEM form? …what I mean to say is that cars have been mocked up for movies before.

$0.02

The movie will come out in June, and the car is going to be debuted this month. It would be retarded to have a car released, then advertised in a movie months later if it wasn’t the same vehicle. “Well you know when we mocked it up for the movie we had that cool feature but we decided not to keep it on the car. Sorry”

Ah. didn’t realize that the volt is going to be brought to market THIS YEAR!

What I meant to say is that for the sake of shooting the movie, it’s not too unlikely that it’s dino-powered for simplicity & stunt sake.

^ True, but it will still look exactly like the production one, regardless of actual powertrain.

Look at the mileage GM got out of the first Transformers with the new Camaro.

I bet it will beat the ACR on the ring…

with different tires, better driver and downforce

and the electric supercharger of course. this might be the first car that works on.

LOL the hairdryer turbo will finally work. I am going to invest in that ebay company!

eww 40 mile range

The Volt is a major gamble for General Motors, which aims to be the first automaker to market a plug-in hybrid, and the first to offer a hybrid vehicle that is propelled solely on electrically generated power. Featuring an electric-only range of 40 miles, a small gasoline engine is on board only to charge the batteries on longer trips, but cannot move the car on its own like the engines in traditional hybrid vehicles.

General Motors will not confirm that the designe of the car seen in the video is in fact that of the production Volt, but with its unveiling rumored to take place during the company’s centennial celebration on Sept. 16, it’s unlikely that they would be featuring a car in a movie premiering in June 2009 that is different from the production version that will be well-publicized before then.

so its just a fucking hybrid?

nice pun?

No, it sounds like it’s an electric-only drivetrain with a gas engine generator for longer trips. I’ve heard that trains use similar systems, with a diesel generator and electric motors for the wheels (but I don’t know shit about trains to verify this).

Not the same kind of Hybrid.
Current Hybrids use the gasoline engine for propulsion.
This used the gasoline engine as a generator to recharge the batteries.
That is at least how I understand it.

Edit: I was too slow. It is also the first plug in hybrid. Toyota has promised a plug in version in a couple years as well. Plus a solar roof option (granted my opinion is a carbon fiber roof would save you more money then a heavier solar roof)

^ Correct. That is why it only gets 40 miles to a charge. It is a straight plug in vehicle that has a gas generator for longer trips. What I will be waiting to hear is the longevity of the batteries and the cost to replace. The batteries on my dads golf cart are a fortune to replace so i want to know how this is.

Prius replacement batteries were $6k when they first came out and now are under $2k from what I have read.

Edit: they are using Li-ion and are talking about giving the Battery it’s own warranty

The volt an electric plug-in car without the downside of limited trip distance and recharging time. You can go 40 miles on a charge and then it starts burning fuel in a generator to recharge the batteries.

It is really the best of both worlds right now. Definitely a step in the right direction.
You can drive to work and back everyday on the charged batteries, yet still take it on a long trip if you want. If it didn’t have the huge mark-ups in price due to demand, I would want one.

Hahah a step in the right direction is right but damn…40 miles then you need to charge or burn gas.

Hell, its a cheap car tho and can save you money at the pumps so I will be intrested to see how popular they are. Most people can drive to and from work without using gas which is nice.

thats pretty much right about the trains… I was blown away when I found that out…

Cool I wonder what kind of efficiency one would see over a 500 mile trip, 250 mile trip, 100 mile trip

They still looking at a 40k base price?

IMHO it was a game changer at the original estimate of 30k, especially when you factored in tax credits. At 40k I don’t see it being much more than environmental masterbation for the rich that won’t gain enough mainstream buyers to make an impact.

Still glad to see GM follow through with this. The only question is if it will lay the groundwork for a future version priced to make it a reasonable replacement for the middle class 4 door sedan or if it will become the next EV-1.

I thought the original goal was $20,000 and it was pushed up to $30,000 when they fast-forwarded engineering and production deadline.

But I guess if they are popular you could see dealers adding on their charges too.