Closed & Open Cell Foam Insulation / Air Sealing

Awesome! Glad they came through for ya. John, Bob and Dave are good guys.

I got a quote from Williamstown/Superior for my Cape Attic & 2nd floor walls only that was $3100. Thermoseal open cell I believe. I thought the price was pretty reasonable.

Bump.

The process of getting this done has taken FOREVER. I’m using Energsmart & Ivy Lee but they’re not the hangup. I decided to finance things using NYSERDA’s partner, Energy Finance Solutions (EFS) and they’ve been the WORST at contacting me and giving me information. In fact they’ve never contacted me, lol. I’ve had to call them several times over of the past few months just to keep the ball rolling.

So what do you guys think of on-bill recovery loans? Apparently that’s what I’m going to have instead of a conventional loan. Does anyone have experience with one?

From what I’m told if the energy savings are expected to be high, the on-bill loan is the way to go. But I’m sure it’s not that simple.

At this rate I’m going to have this insulation installed AFTER winter, lol. Oh well.

Glad to see you working with EnergSmart. Who did you end up working with, Bob or John?

Bob. He’s been great with communication but obviously I can’t rate the work because it’s not done yet.

Yeah, he’s an awesome guy. Next time you see him, mention my name. We worked next to each other at the Home Show last year. Those guys are awesome and do great work!

Will do.

I should mention I’m having them do a lot of insulating, the majority will be closed cell foam. There are 2 small spaces that are getting the cellulose insulation because it’s easy.

I’m even having them closed cell foam (with an air gap) the crawl space under a basementless expansion to the house. It’s cold back there compared to the rest of the house so I’m hoping to feel a difference.

That’s what I had done, I think it was worth it but was expecting the room to be a little warmer.

I know my issue is mostly with pushing the air from the furnace to the far side of the house but I don’t think there is any insulation in there right now. And looking underneath to the crawl space it’s basically wide open leaving the floor really cold.

Does you have access to the addition from the basement ?
If it’s on a footer the walls usually should be foam board insulated as well as an insulation blanket on the floor to help keep some of the coldness from the ground/walls out. If you have access to it from the basement make sure you leave it open so that the basement air can help heat it.

Blows my mind to spend $3000 on insulation when you can fiberglass insulate it for probably 1/4 cost

Negative. There is no basement access unfortunately. This is what they’re doing under the floor:

http://www.nyspeed.com/pictures/floor.jpg

I believe they’re doing a vapor barrier on the ground and something on the sides of the crawlspace.

Gotcha. It should help a bit for sure.

Cut an access hole in the floor. Hell I did it in my roof. :slight_smile:
How are they getting the foam under the floor?

lol, there is access from outside the house. I assume they’ll be crawling on their backs and installing it that way, unless they employ some really tiny people. http://www.buddythings.com/u_icons/a/buddything_sai0094.gif

PM’ed, Josh.