Closed & Open Cell Foam Insulation / Air Sealing

Anyone have this done to their home / attic? I’m interested in air sealing my attic and using closed cell foam. I’m told in our climate closed cell foam might need a vapor retarder over it as well.

Thoughts?

www.buffalofoam.com

Call John Bartlo @ 716-864-8143 to talk more, he’s a real good guy and a client of mine. These guys know their stuff and will be straight up with you.

There are also tax credits and incentives that you can look at, especially for first time home buyers. They can point you in the right direction for this too.

Cool thanks :tup:

Anyone actually have this done to their home?

I did this to my 30x40 metal pole barn, which is now a shop. I keep it at 50 degrees all winter then turn it up when I want to work in there. I don’t have the actual number in front of me but I used somewhere between 250 and 300 gallons of propane this past winter. Unfortunately ants don’t seem to mind eating it, which isn’t a big deal but something I didn’t expect. I went to MIG, and although they did a good job the company was a disaster to work with. I had to have the barn empty, which meant all of my stuff was outside. By the time they were done rescheduling due to mechanical problems with their spray setup, my tools and everything were outside for three weeks. I heard every excuse under the sun, and their communication was terrible. I would not recommend MIG, but the product/technology is great. In my mind fiberglass is a much better value for an attic. If you’re filling walls or a cathedral ceiling, that’s different.

Remember, if you spray the bottom of the roof leave ventilation for the shingles.

I know @Mankthetank was getting quotes for this recently too…

The attic is unvented right now with no insulation (home built in the late 1800’s) so I’m looking to air seal the thing and just turn it into a conditioned space.

Someone on here did it to their upstairs when they remodeled the whole thing into a master suite. For the life of me I can not remember who though.

Xander did it

[TABLE=“class: uiGrid _51mz contactInfoTable”]
[TR=“class: _51mx”]
Extreme inulation:
Phone

(716) 907-2340
[/TR]
Email
Extremefoaminsulation@gmail.com
[/TR]
Website
http://www.extremefoaminsulation.net
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

They did a commercial building I worked in spent a few days with the owners pretty awesome guys. really know there stuff about any form of insulation.

Yep, talk to him about it.

@Xander ?

I used it at my last house. It was awesome, I would do it again in a heartbeat. I used williamstown? construction. They used icenine at the time.

In the summer it was cool, in the winter I could heat the upstairs with a candle.

X…

Cool thanks! Open or closed cell?

Open cell.

http://www.icynene.com/homeowners/new-home-buyers

This is the stuff they used

X…

Cool thanks! There are a few products on the market, each with different contractors who install them. I need to figure out which is best for my application.

What area did you buy in?

West Village

They should be doing my basement and crawl space next week.

Did you go with Energsmart?

Yeppers