Computer Questions

Here’s my situation. My comp is about 4 years old. The power supply burned up 2 days ago, other than that, it still works fine. My fiance’s mom got a new computer for Christmas and gave me the old one. It’s only a year old, but it got some really nasty virus that wouldn’t let windows open. We tried reinstalling windows, but it still wouldn’t work. Anyway, I stole the power supply out of it to get mine running again.
Here are my questions:
Since the comp I just brought home is a lot newer and faster, can I just take my hard drive, plug it into that computer and be all good or do I have to do something else? Is it easier to take the motherboard out of the other one and put it in mine?
Is there any way I can completely erase the hard drive with the virus?
Is there any way I can run 2 hard drives in one computer? I just want to do this so I can back one hard drive up onto the other.
Any advice is appreciated.

dont just re-install, reformat

Q1: you can pop your harddrive in, just make sure if its a different chipset, video card, sound card, etc. that you have all the drivers so they all function properly.

Q2: Simple, pop in a windows disk and format the entire drive.

Q3: Plug 2nd harddrive onto the ribbon and use the jumper as a slave. Copy files over and use it as a backup.

I would just backup what you absolutley need, and then format the drive entirely and if you need the space just run master/slave combo.

If you have to ask these questions, just give it to someone who knows what they are doing and they can fix it for you in a few hours.

^^^ agreed

:word:
Would be a lot faster/easier.

But for answers

Since the comp I just brought home is a lot newer and faster, can I just take my hard drive, plug it into that computer and be all good or do I have to do something else?

If you are taking about booting off the drive that was in the other computer then the answer is usually a no until you reinstall windows.

If you want an additional drive for more space you can set the jumper on the back to slave and connect it on the same cable.

Is it easier to take the motherboard out of the other one and put it in mine?

Only if the case for the new one is too tiny for extra drives. Otherwise no.

Is there any way I can completely erase the hard drive with the virus?

Just reformatting will remove the virus in a large majority of cases.

Is there any way I can run 2 hard drives in one computer? I just want to do this so I can back one hard drive up onto the other.

Yes you can attach it in line, and set the jumper on the back to slave. And copy what you want over. I would only recommend this after you’ve reformated the drive in new computer though. And then connect it once you have done such.