need a How-To for transfering harddrive

how would you delete and completely format a harddrive, then transfer the contents from your current harddrive to the new one?

currently have 2 harddrives on my computer ( one is the main one with OS and stuff needed to run the system, and drive 2 is just for a few games and MP3’s and Movies).
i just got another one that is bigger GB then my main (master) drive i currently have. so i wanna swap them.

and if its possible i want to take the main drive thats currently in the computer and format it to make it my 3rd drive that i can just store DVD movies on.
dunno if i can do that or not tho…

so anyone have a how-to?

Symantec Ghost.

never heard of it, you have to pay?

symantec ghost is the corporate edition of norton ghost, it’s not hard to figure out how to use it but it’s not exactly easy either and it’s better to have another computer to dump the image to and push it back over.

I dunno how to “dump the image” and dont have another computer besides a laptop

If i was going to be home this week i’d help ya out but i’ll be in connecticut.

If you bought the harddrive, didn’t it come with a program to change it?
I know when I bought mine it came with a CD that set the new one up as either a new boot drive or whatever you like.

he wants everything off the old one on the new one, he’ll have to image the drive and load the image onto the new drive.

Uhhhh yup so or if he bought one it usually comes with a CD that transfers all information over to the new HD and either sets it up to be a boot drive or a slave, and all you have to do is make sure the pins(idk how to say it)are covered right on the drive.

no its not new, its from this spare PC i have that has a blown Processor

my drives are old, my main drive (master) is 12GB and has OS and other system shit on it
my other drive is MP3/games/ movies (slave) and is 20GB

the one i wanna swap the main drive with is 20GB also.

dunno if i can have 3 drives but it would be nice to have
C: as main drive (20GB)
D: as my MP3/ few games (20GB)
and DVD Movies and vids for the (12GB)

man just go buy a 200gig they’re less than 100 bux these days and quit playing with 1999 technology.

rofl true, but dont have the money at the moment to do that, was just thinkin of doin this for now

I doubt you can get all 3 in at once, most just do 2 at once.
I would try and google and find a program to transfer it over for you, I don’t know any off the top of my head, sorry.
I just know mine came with it and it was nice and easy, so if you can find one it should be an easy process.
Good luck!

you can only have 2 on 1 ide channel…so it is possible if he has an open spot on another channel.

As for the other drive, easiest thing for you to do is make it master, boot to the windows install cd, blow out whatever partition(s) are on the disk and do a clean install. If you don’t know how to use or lack access to ghost it will take you 10x longer to get the job done.

Slave the original OS drive on a secondary ide channel and copy whatever you want over. Disconnect your data drive just incase, so you f shit up :slight_smile:

x2 on the quit fucking with 1999 technology quote

How many cd/dvd drives are you running?

And what OS are we talking about here?

windows XP
cd Drive
DVD RW drive
and a useless floppy

With having two ide removeable drives, (cd and dvd) you will limited to 2 hard drives unless you add a different ide controller.