need computer help

i need to ransfer a bunch of mp3s from one comp to another. but i dont know how to read off 2 hardrives and what not. i tried hooking up a cd burner to the other comp but it wouldnt boot up so im hooping i can do it an easier way. any ideas?

Originally posted by HaNnIBaL64
i need to ransfer a bunch of mp3s from one comp to another. but i dont know how to read off 2 hardrives and what not. i tried hooking up a cd burner to the other comp but it wouldnt boot up so im hooping i can do it an easier way. any ideas?

put old hard drive in new computer.

Originally posted by Darkstar
put old hard drive in new computer.

what he said…

open up the new computer, and disconnect the CD drive, then plug the old harddrive into those connections…boot it up and it will recognize the harddrive as drive D or E etc…(depending on how many partitions on the new drive.

now transfer the MP3’s, remove the old hardrive, reconnect the CD…done.

ugh

the most important part was left out… set the jumpers on the secondary HD to slave :pat: then it shouldn’t be a problem.

also if both computers have a network card… just plug an ethernet cable to both pc’s and have the same ‘workgroup’ (98+) and you’ll be good. if it doesn’t work make sure file and print sharing is on.

Originally posted by turbovw18
the most important part was left out… set the jumpers on the secondary HD to slave :pat: then it shouldn’t be a problem.

how the hell do you do that?

headspins

on the back of the hard drive you will see pins with a lil black plastic piece on most likely 2 of the pins… it will be set to master right now, now look on either the back of the hard drive or on top of it and you will see a diagram that show you how to set it as a slave drive

sweet thx guys got it now

Originally posted by turbovw18

i guess i left out the part that was even more important :pat: … whitey hit it on the head.

maxtor slaves are normally top row on last two pins … horizontally.

seagate is second set of jumpers from the left, placed vertically… some old hd’s don’t have the jumper settings printed on the case.