County Reassessing Property Values

That used to be Deer lakes claim to fame. In fact, i think at one time they were the highest in Allegheny county until Wilkensburg passed them up. Now Shaler wears the crown eh? That’s a shame, my 8 5Y.O. MIL lives in shaler and the taxes are really high on her little house. Would still love to see the hideous property tax replaced by a consumption tax. Imagine all the money that could be saved if all these costs associated with the property tax are eliminated(reassessments, court fights, appeals, etc). As long as there are property taxes, no one truly owns their property, since they have to pay the government yearly “rent”, or it will be taken from them.

As to matt94Z’s $300 increase due to reassessment, my guess is that the new rate resulted in a large escrow shortage. So if his taxes went up, say $1800/yr($150/month), the mortgage company would raise his payment approx $300/month to make up the first year shortage in his escrow account due to the higher tax rate. Those number are guesstimates, and Foz can chime in if i am way off here, but i think i am close to what would be a common occursnce with any tax increase. Most mortgage holders require a pretty big cushion in the escrow account, which results in lots of shortages. That is one reason why i do not have escrow and pay my own taxes. That also allows me to write the huge check to the school district every Sept and get myself all pissed off.