home owners: fighting new property assessment?

so I’ve owned my home for a year now.

I purchased the house for $10k more than its assessed value last year. This year I just got a letter stating they are bumping it up $10k to match the price it sold at.

how do / should I fight this?

if I can find comparable homes that just sold for less will this work for proof or am I really doomed because they will just use the price that I paid last year?

it’s henrietta (rochester) if anybody has experience

Shut up about your taxes. :smiley:

Seriously though that will be a tough fight since you pretty much bought it for market value a year ago.

Did anything come with the house like furniture or SubZ fridge? You might be able to subtract that from the “real” value.

my taxes went down this year :gotme: ~$300

I jumped the gun lol

the included appliances is an interesting angle… I’ll try that.

more real life examples plz.

He thought $10,000 was the total.

Maybe have it apprasied and hope it less then what they say it is and send it in… :gotme:

I dont think there is any other way, is the 10k hike really make that huge of difference?

I really dont know because my house in SC is brand new 2200 sq feet and 2008 taxes were only 680. I’m sure NY is way more…

they always re-apriase when a house is sold, for the new value…

fight it? if you though it wasn’t worth that amount why did you buy it?

I’m not here for the moral argument (same one we always have with pleading guilty to a speeding ticket)…

I just want lower taxes if reasonably possible.

I wouldnt bother trying to fight it unless they appraised it above your buying price. My house was reappraised to selling price when I bought it also. Two years later they bumped it up again which I fought with supporting documents of recent area sales with properties of similar size & condition.

and did you win that fight?

Since you just paid that amount I really don’t think you’re going to stand a chance without a real appraisal saying it was worth less. I just re-fi’d and the bank sent an FHA certified appraiser to value my house for the mortgage. Talking to the notary/realtor they sent to do the signing last night I was telling her I was going to use their appraisal to challenge my assessment. She said I’m pretty much guaranteed to win since the appraisal was from an FHA appraiser because they are “the authority” when it comes to values.

The appraisal fee was around $300, so if you honestly think your house is worth a lot less than the assessment that might be worth doing. Otherwise I doubt they’re going to care about home sale prices around you over such a relatively small difference.

my house was appraised by the bank at only $5k over last year’s assessment (and thus $5k less than the new one)

hmmm… I might have to call the office and run it by them.

somewhat, they did lower my value but not to what I wanted. The only reason I went in for a hearing is because they increased my assessed value by over 30% in one year. I think they did it just because I have one of the lowest assessed values on my street.

It is funny you say that because I just came from a meeting with the local assessor because I would like my(company) building lowered by$600,000.:uhh:

Wouldn’t it be a good thing that your house’s appraisal went up a bit? I would think that would show there are rising home values in your neighborhood.

Wait, you paid more than what the house was assessed for?

I don’t own a home but anything I read in my interest in buying one says thats dumb…

My house hasn’t been reassessed for tax purposes since the 80’s. It’s assessed value is like half the market value. :awdrifter:

I hope an assessor reads this and knocks on your door. Lol

I hope you get aids. LOL.