Datsun 510

Hey guys. I just wanted to toss up a few pics of my 510 in progress. It’s a bit of a budget project but eventually I will get it to where I want. For now moneys tight so I am just tossing in a carbed single cam KA hybrid motor. I have had it for about 2 years now. It spent a few months at paint and I am just beginning to put her back together now. Unfortunately I didn’t take any before pics which sucks. Anyways here ya go. I hope to bring her out in the spring and start hitting up some or your Nissan meets.

PS Try not to smack talk the baby Wilwoods too much :wink:

Wow This looks really good so far

looks sick but i think it would be a shame to not put a motor with a little more to offer under the hood, considering how the rest of the car looks great

^^ agreed. At least put a sr in :slight_smile:

An SR is definitely in the plan. The car has been down for a year and a bit, I just want to be able to cruise a little while I gather up some parts for the SR swap.

Looks sick, i want those rims

Very cool.

nice work! whats the name of the paint like wut kind of blue…i like it!

Those rims I believe are stock off of a 280 or 240z I may replacing them, if I do you can come pick them up. I used 11530 Blue I think by Sherwin Williams. I’ll double check and get back to you.

this is sweet, always loved the 510, nice paint choice man

shweet. is nice.

Very nice, I never know how people find these cars, I’ve never seen one for sale anywhere. I’d say hold on to yours for as long as you can.

that looks great! the blue is not my thing, but awesome shiny shell!
i’m not even sure id waste the time effort and money putting a shitty engine that you’re going to swap out anyway. i’d wait until i had enough money to put something good in, maybe an sr like you said or whatever it may be. just to avoid the headache of swapping it again

There are actually 2 on Kijiji GTA I think, I flew out to Calgary in Feb 2008 to get this one. With the mortgage and a few other bills the SR budget is out for a year or two so I’d rather drive and enjoy it than see it collect dust. Majority of the work will suit both builds anyways so it’s not like I will have to undo a bunch of stuff. Hopefully I will have the front end set up this week and I’ll post some more pics. I did some snooping and found a pic of when I brought her home but its crappy. I also found a pic of buddys motor I got for now. I know she won’t be the fastest on the block but the install is clean which I like and Webbers are pretty sweet, too.

Yea, I agree on the cleanliness. I don’t like the hassle of carburators, but they sure look pretty under the hood without all of the extra mess and wires of EFI.

Yeah carbs can be a pain but like I said its whats in the budget right now. I pretty much purchased buddys entire engine bay for DIRT. The block is bored slightly running 10:1, bigger cam, Nismo carb manifold, dual sidedrafts, header, lightened flywheel and clutch. Plus I got a very nice rad/fan setup, majority of the engine bay fuel lines in braided Earls goodness and a few other tid bits. I really couldn’t refuse the price. She should go pretty decent considering the weight for now while I set away the pennys for something with a little more nads.

When I flew out to Calgary last year I was surprised to find the owner pushing late 50’s daily driving this thing with a cage and fuel cel. He actually had two but one was t-boned pretty bad so we stripped the shit out of it and shipped the parts back in totes inside mine. I found it on Kijiji about 10 minutes after he posted it and expressed shipped him a cheque right away, he was pretty surprised. I had a plane ticket booked a week later and the rest is history. On top of it all the guy fed me 3 squares a day while we worked on the two cars and toured me throughout Calgary and dropped me back off at the airport. Really good guy. All he asked in return was pics of the progress…I guess he was happy to see it go to a good home.

Nicely done

Car looks great. I bet it’ll still be fun to drive with the KA. We’re in the middle of doing a DOHC KA swap into a 510.

cool ass cars. I’ve grown to really like it.

^ i thought bren was putting in a sr20det?

I kind of like carb motors. Once you get the swing oF the choke and giving the right amount of fuel it’s all good. Regardless of engine it looks great, and with a straight pipe you will love it anyway. If you’re willing to stay carbed, you can get a small block V8 for cheap. If you want to keep it simple, a fiur barrel, headers, and exhaust should do it for you. If you want to push closer to 400, then a little more on goodies and some proper machine work should do what you want at a fair price. Jt’s an option to consider. I think 350 NA ?8 power in that car would make it boss.