Dell Dimension 8400

Anyone own this computer? If so are you still using it?

I need the Heatsink brackets and retainer clips from it.

i own this computer, but yes im still using it

damn…I bought one from a site but it was the wrong size…

check ebay if you havent already

already did…they sell the heatsink but not the mounts and clips.

I have a 8600. Same???

Awfully rude of Dell to not use standard S775 HSF mounting. Any way you can take off the plastic retainer and use the holes to zip-tie the HS down? Ghetto, but better than nothing. Also, the mounting pattern looks suspiciously close to a S478 HSF. Could give one of those a shot.

Edit - my suggestions are based on the assumption that the google image searches are accurate. Ignore me if it doesn’t make any sense.

I have a 8600. Same???

Possibly

Ghetto, but better than nothin Also, the mounting pattern looks suspiciously close to a S478 HSF. Could give one of those a shot.

Dell’s shit is all proprietary. The heatsink, the PSU, the motherboard and case. It sucks.

I’ll take pictures and measure it out

<<<EDIT>>>
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v398/Thorguitarist/heatsink.jpg

those are pretty close measurements could be a little off. It was a pain in the ass measuring those.

You can just put a regular heatsink on it with fan, then mount a case fan on the case if you can’t find that stupid green heatpipe.

there is no green heatsink pipe…and No you can’t put any heatsink on it.

I found this image of standard mounting dimensions. Doesn’t look like there’s anything helpful. The Xeon looks to be close, but not close enough. I’ll dig around at work tomorrow and see if we have anything that might fit. We deal a lot with custom chassis and foxconn boards, maybe we’ll get lucky.

http://usera.imagecave.com/hotrod73dart/Service/socketdimensions.gif.jpg

It’s a socket 775 chip, but the dimensions are custom. If I was to order it from Dell it’d probably cost me like $100

<<<EDIT>>>
width is roughly 90mm and the height is roughly 48mm…Like I said they aren’t exact but they are close.

Check your PM’s. Dell PN: U2641.

just looked - we have a dimension 8200 that is currently being thrown out… if its the same part you can have it

any manufactured computer is shit go custom next time so you have the option to upgrade

I did go custom…I’m rebuilding my dell for my parents to use.

i just took my 8600 apart down to the mobo, completely different, sry…I would have given it to you if they were the same…

Thanks, I appreciate the help…I ordered one on ebay thanks to MoparGuy. I’ll update pending the installation.

well what an idiot I am anyways. It’s an INSPIRON 8600 laptop, not a dimension 8400 pc, oh well i needed the screen for a hp laptop.