Did a bit of winterising today

Put in my lower rad hose heater today, as well as a 195 deg. thermostat. Also put in my battery warmer.

Just in case anyone else is driving an SR over winter, I have the Canadian Tire part #'s for the thermostat and thermostat housing gasket. For the inline heater just get one that’s 1 1/4". I got a 1 1/2 and the ID of the heater was the same as the rad hose, so it had to stretch a bit.

SR20DET 195 deg. thermostat - Pt# 14-4361 $12.99
SR20DET thermostat housing gasket - Pt# 17-4200 $1.39

These parts were for a 91 G20, maybe it’s old news to some but I couldn’t find any info that said, yes these parts fit 100%. I’ll have pic of the lower rad hose heater up in a bit, I couldn’t even find a pic online when I was looking into it a few weeks ago. Might help some guys make up their mind to get one. The install couldn’t be easier. Better than pulling a frost plug out of a 10-15 year old engine and installing a block heater that you don’t know whether it fits for sure or not.

BTW the 195 thermostat blows heat like a motherfucker now. My shoe felt like it was on fire. :E

I also forgot to mention the thermostat is a fail-safe style. So if it ever fails it locks in the open position to prevent overheating.

Here are the crappy camera phone pics.

Lower rad hose heater

Installed

Oh yeah the battery warmer was $25 and the lower rad hose heater was $40.

So will this work for all sr20 motors?? I’ve never changed the thermostat b4, is the pic you took there of the install just under the intake manifold?

And the lower rad hose heater, how’s that installed?

Thanks,

Chris

To install in the lower rad hose you just cut out a 2" piece and put this in. Run the cord to the front of the car and presto, you’re done.

Yeah the last pic is of the passenger side, the thermostat is in the thermostat housing under the intake manifold at the front. Pretty sure it will work for all SR20’s but I can tell you for sure it will work for an S13 redtop.

what does a thermostat for the engine do? does it upgrade the heating? I’m not sure, or does it turn on when the car is park to keep the engine warm?

thermostat are engine specific?

the thermostat is a spring loaded device that the coolant passes through. Getting a higher temp thermostat just means that it will stay closed longer, until the coolant has reached the desired temperature.

WOW…

Not everyone knows everything about cars Rob. There was a time you didn’t know what a thermostat was too.