DIY Homeowners Advice please!

Alright so yesterday marked the first day of work to get the house setup as much as we can before we move in at the end of this week. We were hoping to have all the rooms painted and just do some of the small BS work when we have time once were in there.

Anyways came accross a slight problem and wonders what anyone here thinks would be the best soloution.

Before the house was sold to wifeys mom ~5 years ago, they made it look nice to sell it… in doing so used wallpaper in the living room. The wallpaper looked like shit and they took it down, on the one wall her mom couldent get the glue off the wall, it was yellow/shitty looking any after awhile got sick of looking over it and painted over it.

So, on one wall you can see the glue under the paint looks liek crap. I figure I have 3 options.

1. Get some textured paint, paint over it and say fuck it (easiest soloution)
  2. Joint Compound the wall then sand
    3.Remove paint, remove wallpaper glue, prep paint

3 obviously being the “right” and most PITA soloution, 2 being the less ghetto way and 1 being the laziest and not the best…

Wayne and the other DIY’ers what do you think any ideas?

sand with high grit paper then if needed do option 2 if needed, then paint. 3 is not going to be that much different than 2 in the long run. maybe try an industrial wallpaper adhesive remover/steam

they sell wallpaper glue remover.

How are you gonna joint compound OVER glue? that shit is eventually going to crack and fall off and cause more problems. Shady, rent the fucking steamer thing, and get that shit DONE. It’s one fucking wall for christ sake, GTFO here with this thread. :banghead

Wayne I know, more or less the reasoning is we HAVE to get in there by the end of this week, we have limited time to do shit because I work days, shannon works nights. I have my daughter so its hard to bring her over there, especialy when im patching/sanding the walls dont want her around for that.

The problem is the PAINT over the glue… will a steamer get rid of the paint as well?

I know they make wallpaper remover, I’m using that on the other 2 walls and it works extremely well, took me 20 mins to get half the wall done. Her mom at the time wasnt aware of this shit and was sick of looking at the ugly wallpaper glue and just painted OVER THE GLUE… If it was just the glue it wouldent be a problem, but theres a thick ass coat or two of paint over the glue…

I don’t think the steamer will remove it since you have paint over top of it.

I have an old house and the walls were wall papered then painted 103094 times. I skim coated it as best I could and it isn’t too terribly noticable.

Your best bet is to take the advice on using a high grit sand paper and try taking it down that way and skim coating the low spots. Good luck.

Get paint stripper and go to town or use an electric sander and wear a mask

new sheetrock

+1 just make the room like 3" smaller

Sand/ scrape as much shit as you can off then skim the whole wall.

I didnt mean on top of the old sheetrock although that does seem to be pretty common to do.

I was going to say the same thing, replace the drywall

man up and get out teh sledge.

re-sheet rock it. Depending on the age of the house the ext. walls are prolly blown in insulation. which settles over time, leaving voids up on top. Heat rises. Heat passes through said voids, wasted money via heat bill.

Not only will paint over paint, over glue, over paint… look crappy, there are more gains by taking it all down, putting in new R11-RXX depends on the outside wall framing, vapor barrier, new rock, taped and sanded. then painted. retrim it and it will look MINT, and %200 better than just painting it and calling it a day.

If you dont have the money to do it now, save it, dont waste it on paint and glue remover and time. Get a home loan, talk to the bank about maybe a rehab/remodel loan, whatever you can do.

Houses = investment (as you know). Its like building a car. Dont put ebay parts in it and expect it to last, run/look right and get your money back out of it. Do it right the first time.

Thanks Mike Holmes.

So i cant buy things off ebay? :cry:

Actually replacing the drywall crossed my mind. For now I’m going to get out the palm sander and see how it does. Fuckin A I wish her mom just bought wallpaper remover… the other 3 walls she dident paint over, took 30 mins to take the shit down.

On a good note, the kitchen is 90% done, trim/border needs to be refinished and painted… My daughters room we finished last night around 1am… border needs to be done… then our bedroom then the dreaded family room