DO NOT take your car to goodyear on the blvd

I took my car to goodyear on the boulevard (across the boulevard mall) and got my snow tires put on last november. They are studless snows so i still have them on while i am waiting for my tires.

Well, today i went to take the wheels off and put my traklites on for the meet today when…SNAP>SNAP>SNAP>SNAP. all four broke off. I called today and complained but they said “we torque everything to factor specs”. This is complete bullshit, because if they were, they would have come right off without hessitation.

Now i am without a car for the time being while i try to replace the 4 studs.
I will be putting the wheel back on once i get the studs replaced, and i will be taking the car to there place to see if they can get the other ones off without breaking them (which i doubt they will).

DO NOT GO TO THIS LOCATION

I’ve seen some over torqued lugs that didn’t snap the studs. That’s kind of weird. Not entirely sure they are at fault here.

if you cant pull it off with a breaker bar, then its on way too tight. it should not take my entire bodyweight to get a lug off.

Do saturns have plastic studs too?

har har har. no. one of the few parts that weigh me down :wink:

what type of lugnuts were they? could they have gotten rusted from the winter?

take it back to the same goodyear and tell them to just take the tires off.
Don’t tell them you were there before, or that they may be over torqued.
See what happens :slight_smile:

(Oh, it actually looks like that’s what you said you were going to do, meh.)

they were the stock ones, but i have driven with them on during the winter before, the same way, and swapped the wheels last spring with no problems or anything. thats why this just doesnt seem possible that they could have been bad.

yep. going to do that when i get these fixed.

If you had such a negative experience…why would you go back there?

i know some lugnuts like those found on focus,s and other cheaper cars have a tendancy to get rusted on from the inside, either way they were still too tight tho

so that if they break the others, then i can blame it on them lol

im not taking anything of mine to any shop. i can fix anything on this car, and im only going places to change the tires, but i will never have them touch the car. i’ll take the wheels there in the car if i have to.

You honestly think that is the way it will work?

Word welcome to buffalo. you can only take lugnuts off so much. IMHO they did there job the wheels never fell off

no. i just hate places that charge way too much for something only they can cuz they have a “special tool”

:lol: you sure you spun them the right way when you removed them

Maybe the minimum wage tire jockey working on your car cross threaded them?? Probably just ripped them on with the impact without getting them started by hand.

He is backyard mastertech Kyle. He is the guy that thinks shops should charge 11 dollars an hour because that what knowledge and experience is worth. The fact that you would have to tighten each lug nut right to the breaking point on every lug is not really possible.

anything is possible. Its a GM product.

Meh when I swapped my winter tires off it took my body weight and then some to get a couple of the lugs off. Rust is a wonderful thing.