DO NOT take your car to goodyear on the blvd

lol. will do…swerve’s hours/location??? haha

http://www.swerve.rpmware.com/contact-us

ive had this happen myself and i used a torque wrench to torque the lugs when i put the tires on in the winter.

when theyve been on the car all winter, especially open lugnuts, you should spray them with penetrating lube and hit them with an impact rather than jumping on a bar. the impact action helps jar loose the rust without twisting off the stud.

antisieze helps too in preventing this.

Brian

im definitely going to be doing that from now on. i wish i would have remembered to last november when i got them on.

i wasnt putting a lot of pressure on the bar, just kinda lightly giving it force, then they just kinda broke.

I use Never-Seez on my girlfriends saturn and I never really have a problem but sometimes they still are a bitch to get off. I guess it doesn’t help that my impact gun is pretty beat.

also make sure there is no corrosion on the hub or rotor which could cause the rim not to mount to the hub well which could cause that lug nut to make the weird indent in ur rim

do you live in love canal ? i think i seen you working on it lol

mmm love canal.

hahaha, yes i do. not litterally in love canal, but next to the aftermath site lol. you saw me working on it?

I dont think industry standards calls for antiseze (or anything) on wheel studs. It will change the torque readings. I’m sure something light such as wd 40 or silicone spray wouldnt hurt. But I wouldn’t go slapping/coating the antiseze on there.

I remember breaking studs in my cavalier.
But thats because I never re-torqued them and they were REALLY loose and sheared.
A few more miles and I would have lost that wheel.

Are they even responsible if they break the studs?
I’d bet they charge you parts and labor to replace them, even though you believe they are at fault. I figure they have the 30 seconds/30 feet class of warranty

or the taillight clause…once i cant see your taillight anymore, warrenty is up.

im going to look for the reciept. im pretty sure i saved it, i usually do with stuff like this.

I agree

Always check your torque as soon as you get your car home. I have had too many bad experiences in the past. Some shops have no clue or they just are scared they may fall off so they torque the piss out of them.

When I was young and stupid I would way over tighten my wheels. The first time I used a torque wrench I thought it was not working, I couldn’t believe how little torque it really takes. lol Oh, and also always recheck the torque after driving a bit.

im lol’ing over here bc i perpetually stand on the tire iron to tighten/untighten lug nuts/bolts and have yet to break a bolt/stem (knock on wood)

you SURE theyre not plastic?

This happened to me last year only it wasnt my stud that snapped, they used one of my locking lugs and it was on so tight that i broke 5 keys. Thank god McGard is a local company cause towards the end the lady that worked there gave me 2 at a time.

Always a possibility…

Truth

Just about.

I snapped a stud on my Celica swapping out winter tires once. I was using a breaker bar and putting uneven torque on it. Anything is a possibility. Now if you went to a shop like Mr. Oil Change or something of the like where they do not use torque sticks and proper tools this might be a viable claim.

ya i was driving the Mr Softee ice cream truck :slight_smile:

Agreed.