Domestic vs. Import

Not to pick you out but have you ever been in a fast turbo import…deff puts you in your seat…or take a ride in k20’s civic thats NA and puts you in the seat…when vtec hits so dose your head off the head rest :nod

Even if the domestic has the performance to match the driver’s desires, the other aspecs lack. To be truthful, I compare my car with other cars of it’s generation: C4, LS1, WS6, Ford Mustang GT, 03 Cobra (stretching it…) etc…

The C4 is garbage
LS1 is an awesome motor but the build quality of a 90s Kia
The WS6 is very similiar
03 Cobra? I don’t need to say much.
Ford Mustang GT: Sounds amazing but cheap feel and slow as balls for the displacement.

To me, the only real domestic car that I have ever really liked is the C6 and the price tag makes it unaffordable for many people. Sure, I can take a shitbox domestic and put it in the 10s but that’s not what a lot of people are after. A lot of imports just have a nice combination of exterior/interior/DD-ability/performance in more than just straight line.

Different strokes for different folks. For the record, I think the C5 is amazing bang-for-buck but, again, the leather seats are cheap, and the car feels semi-cheap to me.

You guys are talking about Imports that have a HUGE single turbo, or a upgraded twin turbo setup…turbo’s make TORQUE even if you put them on a damn lawn mower…torque, gives you that held in the seat sensation…I know Shawn96VR-4 is gonna chime in here and find something to argue with me about, cause he does it in every damn thread…

Their really is no import or domestic dispute…i mean their is, but their isnt…its all preference. I have ridin in imports that hold you in the seat…and have also ridin in some of the fastest domestic’s around…No matter what, their is a whole different feeling to a car that makes 550hp and 400 rwtq (turbo civics, vr4’s,300zx’s etc) opposed to a Supra that makes 800rwtq and 720rwhp or a Z06 putting down 600rwtq. Torque is what puts a smile on my face…Horsepower doesnt. For instance, my car makes a shit load more torque then it does Horsepower…when your riding in my car, it feels like your strapped into the seat by a 5 point harness…doesnt mean its fast, but torque gives you that feeling.

I have never ridden in a import that was N/A that has held me in the seat like a N/A domestic…because they dont know what torque is without a nice shot of N20 or turbo’ed.

I am not a import hater…hell, I want a Supra. I give respect to any car that is fast and built right…no matter if it has 2 wheels or 12. It just seem’s that I run into alot more import owners that think theirs cars are the fastest thing cruising down the street…when they are really 15 second cars…dont get me wrong, theirs deushbags in both import and domestic worlds…I have just found that some import owners seem to think they have god under their hoods…For instance, A kid with a stock 01 Civic Si told me that my car was slow and a POS and he would smoke me…dunno what the hell gets into peoples head’s like that…but its people like that, that make us domestic owners have such a dispute to begin with.

You post a lot of stupid shit. Sorry, I am not very forgiving.

Not sure what a HUGE single turbo or upgraded twin turbo has anything to do with it. The fact of the matter is plenty of imports make torque. I guess it depends on what the person’s definition is but 511TQ on pump gas on a little 3.0L is fairly impressive, IMHO. BTW, my EVOII-16Gs are not very big at all. I know plenty of stock turbo 3S that make quite a bit of torque and a TD04-9B is the size of your fist. I am just spouting off cars I know. I am sure others know of them too.

Simply put, again, saying imports make no torque is ridiculous.

Boostin Camaro - You know the old saying, horsepower sells cars, but torque wins races :nod

Im not saying that they dont make any torque…Im saying to make extreme amounts of torque compaired to domestic sports cars, they either need a nice shot of N20 or turbo’ed…

do you honestly think your car on a stock 3.0L would make 511wtq without those 2 turbos?? hell no.

“I know plenty of stock turbo 3S that make quite a bit of torque and a TD04-9B is the size of your fist.”

Once again…turbo’ed to make the torque standards a LS6 or a LS7 make stock.

also, dont forget…AWD has a different feeling then FWD or RWD…they all have different feelings opposed to eachother.

I guess. “Do you honestly think with smaller displacement you would make XWTQ? hell no.”

You are correct, we need the turbo to force air in as we don’t have your displacement. I think we all know that. I am just responding to that blanket statement about imports.

To be honest, I love FI cars. It makes hustlin the domestics much easier. :smiley:

hell yah…im not gonna argue with the F/I feeling…theirs nothing better then a feeling of a big single turbo (or 2) smacking you right in the face…its a whole different feeling then any N/A car i have ever ridden in…and thats why i went down the F/I road.

I don’t how imports have been somehow been translated into Japanese cars, but i would just like to point out there are others out there.

you wanna talk n/a import tq take a ride in an mb e55 (for sake of post even an older n.a) or a older e39 m5… shit even a 540… even the new Japanese v6’s from toyota nissan and honda produce a lot of tq. Take for example a g35/g37 or hey how about the v8 tundra? There are plenty of imports with plenty of tq. There are also a lot of imports now with oem boosted motors that produce big tq numbers compared to their hp.

also for the record it may not have been any impressive numbers but both hondas that iv had and do own now make more tq than hp and they were both 4 cylinder vtec motors.

Call me stickler for technology but at the end of the day almost all of those high tq muscle cars are still present day push rod motors… come on Detroit your better than that

^^^ hell yeah, a nice e39 5 would be a great example… definitely a car with plenty of pull, style, and makes a great daily. if i had the mean$ right now i’d have one.

shit, new m5 is what 507 h.p. and right around 500 tq.

looks damn good while doing it as well.

i know of not one single vtec honda motor other than maybe the “eco vtec” in the hx that makes more tq than hp…

hondas make no tq, we all know this, but to say all imports don’t is pretty foolish. Remember, the civic wasn’t made to be a performance car, so its pretty unfair to single that car out. Look at the modern Japanese sports cars… EVO/STi. Both put out about 300bhp/300tq.

I’m tired of this turbo BS. Domestic fanbois always bash import (japanese) motors cause of the turbo and demand to only compare the engines with the turbo off… it’s doesn’t work that way. You take your 4 extra cylinders, I’ll take my turbo.

Are you high? My car makes 240 ft lbs of tourque, car weighs 2800 lbs and it puts you in the seat - hard. Get some weight out of those fat-assed domestics and you wouldn’t need so much tourque…

http://smiliesftw.com/x/squintnoeswerdrun.gif

Not exactly ground shattering torque, but the curve is nothing to sneeze at

Honestly, like what sean said my little 2.0 puts you in your seat very well, it has the most obnoxious vtec engagement i’ve seen…that’s minus the N2o. The N2o increases the torque like crazy. :nod

another thing you guys seemed to have confused, is the fact that these big turbo cars need huge horsepower numbers to put upp decent 1/4 mile times. A 700hp import is as fast as a 500hp domestic for instances, just throwing that in there. I def have respect for imports, hell i have respect for any car thats fast, i just think that Timmay made is seem that domestics are somewhat behind in technology, in the past ten years gm has produced the fastest production corvette, camaro, and trans am. The ls version engines are amazing, and they are not old technology, the ls1 was the platform for a 650 hp zr1 engine. 3800 engines are awesome as well, i saw a 3800 series camaro in the 8s. I will say that our daily driver domestic such as an aveo, or a neon or something like that really hasnt done anything but our sports cars are improving every year.

my car puts down 300lb ft of torque to the wheels, ride in my car for a day and you’ll know what im taking about, i have torque from 2000 rpms, not matter what rpm my engine is at you can feel it

Can we please stop making ridiculous posts? This is absurd.

It’s somewhat true, in that a IRS Supra with slicks/stock 6 speed at 700whp will run about the same as a 500whp camaro on clicks because of the solid axle, they hook better. that’s why.