Doom 4 fitting on ONE Floppy??

It may just be possible…

Kkrieger (still in beta) has graphics that could be considered equivalent to the newest FPS’s. Wooptidoo, who cares right? Wrong.

The game uses procedural generation - instead of using thousands of gifs, model maps, etc. to generate graphics and game structure, P.G. provides instructions to generate ON THE FLY, or as you progress in the game.

The pay off? The entire game fits on 97 kb of disk space.
(System requirements are also ridiculously low due to the use of procedural generation - 1.5GHz P3, 512MB, basic gpu).
WHY GO BIGGER AND MORE POWERFUL WHEN YOU CAN BE MORE EFFICIENT?

Ironically, many of the big HDD companies promise affordable harddrives with terabites of storage space in the near future. Should Seagate be worried?:lol:

Link?

Just search Kkrieger on google

noooo wayyyyyyy.

i dont see this happening. unless the game is loaded into system memory COMPLETLY and then ran…

even then there are soo many other things in video games that need space. for example sound, especially digital sound. ic an go on and on

:word: maybe a small amount on a cd… not on a floppy for sure.

Thats fucking neat.

I was exagerating, but yeah it’s revolutionary.

just dl’d and played it for a bit. thats fucking amazing

Good idea and all, but it’s not like disk space is hard to come by… Also I remember trying this, or something extremely similar a few years ago.

there’s always contests like this… using directX etc.

just because something can be done… doesnt mean it’s a good idea.

This has been out for a year or so. Storagewise it’s very efficent, but load times when it starts up are a bitch. They also had another prior that used 64kb, but was non interactive. Though the word impressive doesn’t even begin to sum it up.

How is saving disk space and computer resources by boosting efficiency a million-fold not a good idea? When they get it right 100% they won’t be sacraficing anything when it comes to quality of the game, just being more efficient.

I can’t play it at work, computer doesn’t meet requirements, sadly. How is it? Smooth?

How is generating the textures on the fly SAVING computer resources? If anything it is going to require more processing power. I don’t know about you, but I would rather have it take up more space than more processing power.

just like the extinction of the combustion engine… it’ll never happen.
why? people like having fun. hybrids are more efficient… but they come at a price, deliver less, and are usually fugly. (dont get me wrong i’m all for saving the environment… this is just a good example)

there’s no wow factor from looking at basically the same textures over and over… and zero special effects. I agree that programming has become sloppy of the years with disk space becomming so easily available… but still. Storage space costs next to nothing and is getting faster and faster. Gamers want realism. textures like that are huge… no way around it.

and by creating better compression software etc… u’re just boosting the requirements of the pc… not saving anything. so… to achieve efficiency… one has to pay more… and expect far less… and be mildly amused for all of 10 minutes.

i’m not trying to start a flame war… i’m just hungry and cranky…

and to quote… “bigger is better… it’s the size that counts, not the motion of the ocean.”

runs smooth and looks really really good. it looks xbox good.

deffinitly cool :tup: I really dig some of the lighting in the game.

could use some polishing but otherwise, it looks good for what it is :tup:

I agree with you to an extent, but what would you say if this new efficient technology could equal or surpass the way they make games now?

btw., system requirements are lowered when procedural generation is used.

those system requirements are really low comparitive to hardcore gaming rigs. Hell, i could probably run that on my laptop. ill be checking that out soon.