E30 options

No LS1. No Care.

<3

damn, not a bad idea. We have a spare s62 on the shelf…

any writeups out there? I need to find the weights, there’s a thread somewhere

I’ll have one soon, there are a few, but none of them include all the information.

s52 w/o trans or harness with supposedly good compression test results in CT asking $1700obo doesn’t look like he wants to ship it

I think that M3 I posted is an OK deal because I don’t have the skills or time to “build my own”. There is something to be said for a well built turn-key. The price is probably negotiable also.
My 2 cents.

I don’t have a garage, nor would I be able to do the swap myself, I would need a shop to install.

I probably have 8K total to spend, maybe a little more if I decide to sell the Audi.

Doing a boosted M30 would probably be pretty cheap and pretty stout…

People are forgetting that not every LS1 makes 450whp with a big cam. A stock swap would be right in your power goal range, and be cheap to do and maintain. I like BMW swapped BMW’s but if you are just looking for something to pound the snot out of why not go with an LS1. There will always be more to maintain with a turbo car. I can’t imagine any of the BMW swaps being easier to maintain than an LS1, plus LS1’s are pretty damn light. I am almost positive that an LS1 is lighter than an S54, I think by like 30 pounds.

M50 would probably be the cheapest, easiest way to go, and they are very easy to maintain and very durable.

When did you get a E30?

ls1
<iframe title=“YouTube video player” width=“480” height=“390” src=“http://www.youtube.com/embed/JoqDYcCDOTg” frameborder=“0” allowfullscreen></iframe>

you know you miss the v8

A little while ago. I wanted something different, cheap to insure, and something that I wouldn’t cry over if I put into a wall.

LS1 in an e30? uh… I can’t imagine that being really easy to just shoehorn in there…

an LS1 swap into an e30 probably requires a hell of a lot more customization and fabrication than swapping in a BMW motor. I love that on internet forums people seem to think that LS1 swaps are easy as pie.

ls1 that bitch, you know you miss the v8…

ps im doing the timing tensioners this weekend lol

what he said.

just a stock M50 with software make the E30 a ton better and revs to 7 with what feels like plenty of power (enough to keep me on edge at dunnville). You could always start with this and get a bunch of track days under your belt with plenty of reserve funds for fixing / improving the chassis. Then you can turbo because the M50 LOVES boost.

People seem to have no problem putting LS1’s into miatas, can’t be too much worse. Either way, he is having a shop do the work, I’m sure they will rape him unless he has friends do it.

Plenty of people on here are talking about less documented swaps that would probably require as much work as an LS1 swap, probably weigh more, and cost more to maintain.

you could always save some money by using a lsx truck block and then go from there

I don’t know which swaps you are talking about but an M30 is definitely less work than an LS1.

This is a good point of reference for the amount of work that will go into an LS1 E30 for anyone wondering.

http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/conversions-hybrids/1263701-blue-lagoon-bmw-e30-ls1.html

M60/62 would be baller. M50 is cheap and super reliable though.

If you want an ls1 check out this guys thread. He also makes swap kits that take a lot of the guesswork out. http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=94451

I also agree on the m50 swap. They’re cheap, reliable, have good potential and are easy to swap.

to be honest you may be better off buying pre-built. they come up all the time on r3v.

we sold a black s50 coupe for $5500 and an obdi s52 sedan for 5500, both late model.
my wagon went for more than that but it’s 5 lug, euro s50, and, well, is a wagon

if you want someone to do the swap for you talk to Guten Parts in south orange, NJ.

Levent is a great guy, shop does good work and they have great customer service. you may see one or two of my old tourings when you go lol
tell them I referred you