E30....325...opinions?

In my constant search for another project (like i have enough $ to finish one) i have been looking at e30 bmws…

They are cheap, rwd, and did i mention cheap…

Anyone around here have one? Know of any good deals?

Probably drive it while my evo was down, and auto-x it for shits and giggles

If they are “cheap,” chances are they have close to 300k on the clock and beat already. Depends on what you consider cheap, though. I’ve only seen ones that are decent at best climbing in price.

They are nice cars though, and have a lot of potential.

I got something that’s cheap and RWD if you want it… not really an Auto-Xer, but certainly a rally candidate. Little bit bigger than an E30, though.

what type of price range you expecting? a solid e-30 will bring more money than you think. reason i ask, a customer at work has a solid e30. they just picked up an e46. so it may be for sale. yet i dont see it going for cheap–to nice of an example.

Cheap is in perception i guess, my daily currently is an Evo that seems to love to eat $.

I’m also not looking for a low-mileage collector car. One thats got 200K+ miles on it is fine, if its not rusted & its been taken care of. Clutches & bad drivers seats are not a big deal so long as the major stuff (brakes/trans/motor) is in working order… After all i plan to hit cones with it

I was just curious if anyone knew of major down falls with them (i know timing belts are an issue)

Vw16vcabby…If you can get info/ball park price, i would appreciate it.

downsides to the e30 are control arm balljoints/bushings and rear wheel bearings. this is typical bmw.

i wanna say thats what the car at my work is in for. owner was thinking of fixing it then selling it. may be able to get it not fixed for cheaper and you do the work. ill find out. it is definitely one of the cleaner original e30’s i have seen. i’d buy it in a heart beat if i had the room.

oh, go to www.bimmerforums.com good resource for bmw stuff.

awsome cars

get an e36 M3

If he can afford it, I second this. One of the best deals going in a fun, (relatively) fast, cool car that is entirely daily drivable right now. Extremely balanced chassis, and if maintained they go forever.

That being said, the E30 is a lot of fun too, but very hard to find a clean one these days (at least around here).

-TJ

I love e30’s. I love e36’s. You win either way. M-power!

http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/cto/961433582.html

yes e 36s are much better but tend to cost more…how much of a project are you lookin for???

i asked about the e-30, he will get back to me.

as far as the e30/36 debate goes. e30 all the way. although heathers e21 was fun as hell to drive too. an e21 w/ some balls would be ideal 3 series- which is basically what the e30 m3 is. a light nimble car w/ some grunt.

the e30 m3 is just sex. hence why it still brings 20k+. Be honest, money wise, i’d say an e 30 and 36 are same. meaning, i’d expect to pay the same for a clean 30 as i would for a 36.

i will advise anyone looking into a e46-- if it is at 100k miles, have the car looked over. i swear there is an internal clock on e46’s that at 100k everything breaks. not a bad thing, but all maintenance and wear and tear shit happens at around 100k

The m3 is out of the question money wise…

The whole idea of this E30 is something to beat around an auto-X course and not feel bad about. And at the same time, be able to drive it to school/work/errands to keep the daily grind wear & tear off of my Evo

If i could find an old corolla i wouldn’t bother with the e30…but cost & availability wise i think the E30 is where I am gonna be (thanks for the suggestions on the E36 anyway)