E30 vs Miata vs ???

I’m planning on buying a project/ second car that will specifically be used for track days and HPDEs. The car will rarely be driven on the street and although I may go to an auto-x or two with it I am not building it around such events. The goal is to get comfortable on a road couse while having a lot of fun and maybe transitioning myself back into racing. Now let me state that I have a lot (7 years) of racing expierience but very little on a road course so the new car will need to be something I can learn in and develop my driving technique in. Now there seems to be a bunch of options to go with and I would like to explore them all before I buy a car. What I am looking for is some suggestions as well as some insite into what you would do. Any advise will be appreciated but I ask for an explaination of your opinions. My spending budget is around 3 to 4 thousand. The two obviouse choices are an e30 and a miata but both seem to have their advantages and dissadvantages.

What kind of budget?

When I was just blasting around in the winter, I loved my e30 it seemed so tight into me and I felt like i was the car. The M3 I have now seems so bloated… like I need to gain 45 pounds to get that feel again.

I say e30. Many others will agree.
Miata’s are fun cars but I think theres more possibilities with an e30. I just don’t like the idea of a vert.

3 to 4 thousand seems to be what I want to spend but that would include any maintainance needed to make it track worthy. I have wanted an e30 for awhile now but people seem to think they are worth so much now that you could jump intpo an e36 for only a little bit more.

Well, from my experience

I’ve had a 325i - e30,e36

the e36 with a suspension handled BEAUTIFULLY the e30 I had only had a stock suspension. So I really couldn’t compare the two… The e36 stock did have a lower feel to it and seemed so much more together.

IDK that e30 is just cheap and just will not break… Other than power steering leakages. I have no complaints

Yea, I don;t know why people feel the e30 is worth so much… See if you can find yourself a deal somewhere… Its out there… Even a high miles one will be well suited

Figure out what class you want to run, how available it is in the area, and if you argee with the rules and class philosophy. I have heard a couple people not liking the Spec Miata class philosophy and chose to modify thier car for Improved Touring.

IMO Spec Series are the only way to go for drivers (damn being stuck with this current car or damn the lack of support for SE-R cup). SCCA is stronger in the North East than NASA (more races, but if you are only going to do a few a year NASA is more than fine).

I have only thumbed through the rules but seems relatively cheap. http://www.nasaproracing.com/rules/SpecE30.pdf

Although the E30 vs. E36 is getting close for the initial price of the car again read the rule set. How much are tires is the allowable sizes, what are the allowable engine modifications, what are the allowable suspension upgrades. “Saving” on buying a “fresher” E36 could cost much more in the long run.

I am weak on my PCA , BMWCCA rules so google it.

Lastly, dollar for dollar the smart thing would be Formula Vee or Formula 500. Old VW or 500cc snowmobile powered formula styled cars with skinny tires or wider tires with F500. @ ~500 lbs you can tow it with anything, are in a spec series, have something that barely get the tires warm (easy on equipment) and the competition is great.

i.e.

http://www.bmwccaclubracing.com/static/ForTheRacer/Spec_E36_Component_List_-_Mid_Season.pdf

The spec tire for E36 is a Yok A048 245/40 R17 $260 a pop, $1040 total.
The spec tire for E30 is a Toyo R88 205/50 R15 @ ~$137 a pop, $548 total.

Thanks information like this is what I am looking into. It seems as of now that I am leaning towards an e30 modified to specE30 rules.

Man, that is a HUGE difference in tire pricing.

My E30 fits the SpecE30 rules (minus the exhaust) and feels great on the track. Still soft enough to be very streetable too. Don’t expect to be competitive in SCCA ITS or BMW club KP. Hopefully SpecE30 pics up in the Northeast, otherwise we’ll be racing each other at the Glen as the only two in our class.

Both are great cars. I think it depends on what you plan on doing with the car. Is it going to be a daily? The e30 is better for daily use for sure.

For making a fun car, I’d go Miata. You start with dual wishbone suspension, and better weight distribution. Plus there are plenty of tuning opportunities. They weigh so little, that a small turbo makes them a lot of fun.

Also, nothing beats dropping the top on a nice day!

Ill sell you my e36 project for much less than 3 thousand. needs work tho