E36 328i fan suggestions. Fan blades sheared off today

So on my way to work today all of the electrical components in my car started to dim out and get all whacky. No biggie, I thought. Just the alternator, I’ll pick one up and swap it out tomorrow.

If I was only that lucky. On my way to Geoffs after work, however, the car started to get super hot and was showing low coolant. I get to geoffs and the car is leaking coolant pretty bad. As we investigate the problem to see where the coolant is coming from, Geoff picks up a piece of plastic that resembled a fan blade. And it was. Every single fan blade wasa sheared off. I have no fucking clue how it happened, but they are gone.

One of the pieces must have punctured a hole into a closeby coolant hose and it was spraying all over the alternator.

Question 1: I’m assuming that once the leak is fixed, the alternator will dry off and resume normal operation without any further issues. True?

Question 2: Should I replace the fan with same part? I’ve heard about a lot of guys going to a slim e-fan instead of the stock one that attaches to the motor.

FML. I don’t have a whole lot of money lately so I’m trying to do this on the cheap.

Any help is appreciated.

talk to skunk… I think he has a similar problem

Fan delete mod FTW.

:slight_smile:

ive replaced my fan before with just a stock fan. you can find them used on bimmerfoums with no problem, but will have to wait to get it. if you need one asap… with discount i can prob get it from bmw for about $70 new. should have them in stock. at least they did when i had to replace mine fast.

im sure the alternator will be fine.

Your water pump is probably bad…bearings shot which caused the fan to wobble and hit everything. It happens just like that every time, its most likely where your leak is too, check for coolant under the pump area and move the pulley to check for play.

yep…

this is what happened to me right before winter. waterpump took a crap on me, caused fan to wobble and ripped off every blade.

What a great way to tell you a bearing is bad.

How much do the pumps cost?

It also could be due to fan clutch seizing up.

pelicanparts.com is your friend

www.getcoolparts.com and www.autohausaz.com are also good for cheap BMW parts

There’s also that place locally that does like BMW parting out. A friend of mine sent me the link a while back, I have yet to use it and am not vouching for anything.

www.willz.us

Who partners with

www.willz.ca

I was looking in to BMW Es, and they said water pumps are a major source of problems…
so… yep.

said they are known to go and fuck you over since theres only 2 gallons of coolant in the system or something like that so it all goes pretty quick.

fan delete… research it on bf.c

it’s a somewhat common mod… some people even claim more power.

my E30 with the M swap has an electric fan instead.

yea replace the water pump, will be a wise move especially if you have the older plastic impeller version. and i have been running with no engine fan since i bought my e36 about a year ago haha. in socal. just turn on the heat if im ever sitting for more than 5mins. not a huge deal. i plan to do the fdm soon tho. your lucky the fan blades didnt take out you radiator

Paullo I have a pretty large set of let overs from my M3. I have a stock clutch fan that is perfect as well as a great used metal impeller water pump. I have used hoses as well as a belt. Call me or something and I’ll get them overnighted to you for $65 for everything if you want them.

I went with the e-fan mod, full aluminum rad, ported pump yata yata.

Jesus. <3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3

Renzo. <3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3

and I gotta throw this smiley in because we were talking about it last night hahaha

:feck:

Save yourself a head ache later and overhaul your coolant system. If you shop around you can do it for under $250. Get the Fan Delete Mod kit. its a waste of money to get another OEM fan as it will break as well. Go on ebay and get a behr E36 radiator and a metal impeller water pump. It take 2-3 hrs to replace everything. Super easy DIY and you will never have any more problems down the road. While your doing it, get a new expansion tank and level sensor. Super easy and it isnt too much $$$$ if you look around.

i had a similar problem; the thin hose that runs along the top of the fan shroud into the overflow bottle; that clamp broke and the hose came out and sheered my plastic fan. i just replaced the clamps, fan clutch and blade and it’s all good. There’s a little wobble there though so I think I the incident knocked my new fan clutch out of whack, need to replace it again I guess lol.

i would never go without a fan. i got stuck in traffic in my e34 (m50 powered) and with a failing fan clutch the bitch heated right up. going without? madness, unless you never sit in traffic.

If you need a wrench for the fan clutch (slim 32mm) I have one you can borrow. remember, it’s reverse threaded

I had a couple cars without fans in them. Getting stuck in traffic in summer with the heat on full blast to avoid the car overheating sucks.

I’ll let you know about that wrench. :tup: I have a 32mm socket but I’m not sure it will fit down there.