Electrical ?....

For those who know electrical…

I have a plasma cutter that will run either phase 1 OR phase 3. I only can run phase 1 as the box doesn’t support phase 3. However, the plug on the end of the plasma is a 4 prong plug. Can I purchase a regular welders plug and cap off one of the hots to make it run??? I have no idea about electrical, so i basically just need someone to tell me how to wire a 3 prong welders plug so i can run the plasma in phase 1 only… Thanks!

Chris

It’s likely a single phase 20amp male plug, which is going to likely NOT be in your home. You’ll either have to wire in a 4 wire 2amp outlet into your garage, or better, wire in a 3 wire 15 amp connector.

Take a picture of the wiring plate on the inside of the machine, or backside of the access cover for the electrical area and post it online here for me to see. I can tell you exactly what you’ll need to do. Three phase is better for heavy equipment(more efficient) but the likelyhood of you having three phase run is slim.

What machine is it?

Also, snap and post a pic of the male plug. There are numerous four-prong plugs pending use, but like mentioned I’d bet it’s a 20 amp. Very common for multi-phase units.

Hypertherm Powermax 1000

I found an online manual for it and it told me how to wire it for single phase. Thanks Adam!

A G3-1000??? That’s a big cutter and is a bit more than 15amps input :lol You’re going to want to have a dedicated 230v 30 amp bare minimum service for that machine, I wouldn’t run anything less than 50 amp personally. I’d wire it for a NEMA 6-50R hookup. Post the diagaram if you get a moment and I’ll verify.

I’ve got a smaller Hypotherm 35amp cutter. Excellent and most reliable machine.

Curiousity killed the cat, but why did you buy that machine? Get a killer deal on it or just showing off weenis size via cutting equipment? That thing will cut ~1" plate on a good day, 3/4" all day long.

Oops, just saw your above post. Ok :slight_smile:

Yeah it’s a powermax 1000, G3… I also have a Thermal Dynamics 38xl…

The Hypertherm was a gift…

If you go to: https://www.hypertherm.com/Xnet/library/library.jsp?locale=en

and type in powermax 1000, it will pop up manuals for it… I would host it but it’s large file… Check out the manual for me i believe it’s in section 3-5 where they talk about the plug install.

pulling it up now…

Yup, just like I thought you need to rewire it for a NEMA plug, three wire cord, 8 gauge wire. Minimum 50amp service breaker in your box is going to be required.

Everything can per purchased for this at Lowes. I can wire it for you if necessary.

That’s a big fucking machine. WTF you planning to do with that, cut down locomotive overpasses or some shit.?!?!?! :lol

You never know what needs to be cut… So 8-2 wire is what I need?

Plug would be a 5-50r, correct?

P.S. Let me know if you need to chop down a locomotive, I’ll let you use the plasma at the shop. lol

6-50R(250Volt) , rubberized coating(also called machine cable) 8-2 is correct, and don’t make that offer because I just may find shit to cut up just to use it :smiley:

Keep the cord under 15 feet if you plan to use it more than 50% DC, or you’ll be popping the breaker. You can always make an extension cord to reach other places and use the machine in bursts.

Used it tonight in Phase 1… Blew threw 1/2 round bar like nothing… YESSSSS.

I would hope so. 1/2" for that thing is pansy material. Call me when you slice through a piece of 1" high carbon plate with it :smiley:

Bring some over, we’ll see what happens.

The machine is BURLY! I think the hotstart could cut more than my 38 could at half power! lol not really but DAMN this this is sick. Yeah like chris said, fired it right up and worked like a champ.

what sucks is now I need to get 3 different sets of consumables for the machines.

Mike, sign on FB so we can use company time to talk about randomness please.

lol on my way

lol, the piece of 1" plate I have here probably weighs 1/4 ton. Not an easy toss-in-the-truck bed type move :lol.

So you are saying there’s a chance!