extreme home makeover 5-17-09 (wind powaR)

Ok this is not about the show at all I cought this while looking for something to watch but …

did anyone watch this show I want to know what kinda wind turbine they put up

it was kinda like this one just smaller and had like 4 fins
http://i.treehugger.com/images/2007/10/24/maglev_wind_turbine.jpg

I wana know b/c they said that this lil guy could power half there house on a avg wind day … it was small and nice looking … it was about 2ft dia and about 20ft high

I want to look into it …

Make sure you post pricing when you find it.
I would live to stick something like that on my house.

I think they only way to find out is email the show

http://www.acore.org/news/article/2009/05/01/windspire_wind_turbine_installed_abcs_extreme_makeover_home_edition

http://www.mariahpower.com/

lol make sure YOU post the price… Good looks guy

Email sent to sales… lol

here it is

http://www.acore.org/files/images/mariaturbine.jpg

That’s likely an exaggerated statement. Not many places in the US have the average wind speeds to power a small wind turbine for half the houses needs. And VAWTs (Vertical axis wind turbines) are not as efficient as Horizontal ones.

I’m trying to dig up some of my design pictures but I can’t log on to UBlearns. I designed a VAWT for residential use and came across a number of problems.

I’m not saying they aren’t nice to have in order to reduce your electric bill. But don’t expect 1 small turbine to take out half of your bill. Oddly enough, and I’ve said this before, Buffalo is actually a pretty good area for wind power.

And your house is out in the open right? You have a lot of land? For you, you do not want to have that thing near your house. The turbulence that your house creates in the flow of wind really hurts efficiency if the turbine is near it. Suburban areas are great because about 30 feet above the roofs, the wind is flowing smoothly.

EDIT - that’s not what I’d call a small turbine lol. That thing MIGHT be able to take a good chunk out of your bill. Half depending on your normal usage. I thought it was smaller than that.

Buy or Reserve a Windspire
Are you ready to start generating your own power? When you buy a Windspire, you get far more than just a wind turbine, you get a complete system. Pricing starts at $6500 (before rebates or installation), and it includes:

The rotor (“turbine”)
The generator
The inverter
The structure, including a hinged monopole and base pole
The WiFi modem to monitor performance
Owner’s Manual
A 5-year limited warranty

Paulo yes I have the land … Im also in the valley where we have wind 24/7 If anything I will be looking into getting 3 or 4 of these … and then down the line if I can put that much into the grid and make $$ off it … I will looking into a one a year type thing

EDIT … 6500 is a dumb good deal for this is you look what you get … I have been looking for a while now and you can buy the turbine for 5500 but then you need the poll witch is where the $$ comes into play …

I wonder what kind of tax credits that you would get for putting something like that in. The govt. has been spewing energy efficient like it is their job.

Define “not as efficient” please. I have read the oppsite with total costs. Just wondering and trying to learn more about this topic.

Not as efficient at converting wind into electricity. Best case scenario, VAWTs are about 30%, while most HAWTs are 35 and a little bit higher. It’s not a huge difference, but the numbers are there.

Think about this. With a traditional HAWT the blades are ALWAYS producing energy and using wind to turn the generator. With a VAWT the blades are causing drag on half of their rotation as it comes back around and goes against the direction of the wind. HAWTs with an airfoil type of blade (like a plane wing) are the most efficient.

However, the good thing about VAWTs is that they never need to “face” the direction of the wind since they can produce power no matter which direction the wind is going. HAWTs must use a vane to turn into the wind, and look uglier because of it. (IMO) They are much less invasive and that’s actually why I wound up designing a VAWT for residential use instead of a horizontal.

I actually have it sitting at my desk because of a Geothermal unit I’ve been working on. lol

Federal Income Tax Credit:
%30 of total system cost
credit limit to $2000 for 2008
No limit to credit for 2009 and beyond
Can be used to offset AMT tax
Can combine geothermal, solar and wind tax credits

Eligibility
Home must be located in US
Does not have to be your main home
Includes houses, apartments, condos, mobile homes
Installed between 1/1/2008 and 12/31/2016

so 30% cost … no limt … of 09-16 this is what I read correct?

what is ATM tax?

I was looking into solar b/c I have this LARGE yard that I dont know what to do with… but these look a lot cheeper/easer

and if you get 30% off from credit … then it will be a cost of $4550… and im sure that will pay it self off in 60 months or less

Another thing is the fact that the shaft is verticle and does not need to go through a gear box to go down to the ground.

It’s AMT, not ATM. lol Ass to Mouth tax.

AMT = Alternative Minimum Tax

And solar energy in the Northeast is shitty. It’s going to be a good while before it’s worth it to invest in Solar energy around here. However it’s good if someone is truly trying to get off the grid. Normally when there’s good wind, theres bad sun, and vice versa.

Down to the ground? Generators are right at the hub of the blade assembly. That would produce even more loss if there was a 60 foot shaft to turn lol.

I’m pretty sure most smaller applications do not get geared down at all. The big turbines you see on the lake are geared down so that the blades don’t need to spin fast in order for the generator to spin fast.

Actually, side story. You know how so many people complain about turbines killing birds? They USED to, and that was because of gearing. There’s still a wind farm in California that uses old style turbines that aren’t geared down so they spin super fast, and if a bird comes too close, chop suey. But any modern turbine spins so slow that if a bird can’t get out of the way, it deserves to die.

^^ i like the people the say they can “hear” the ones by the lake … if you ever go over there all you can here is bethlehem steel…

ok carry on

Apparently bats explode in the presence of wind turbines too. lol

:io:

Isn’t that part of the higher cost though, having to put/service generators 60’ in the air?

What do you mean? There has to be a 60’ pole holding it up anyway. I’d rather have the one time cost of a pole strong enough to support the generator as well rather than a weak pole with a rotating shaft inside that hurts long term efficiency.

Also you have to think that most of these turbines are relatively maintenance free. Someone on here that knows about the deal with the ones on rt 5 said they bought shitty gearboxes and that’s why they are always down.