Factory Service Manual saying never change timing belt

So my Lexus is nearing 150,000 miles and I was flipping thru the factory service manual to see exactly what i was up against. It looks like its going to be a real shitty job.

But anyway once I got to the Timing belt Replacement section at the beginning of the section it says that under normal driving conditions the factory timing belt should never require changing. I have never heard of that before.

I got the owners maintenace manual out to check and see when that had timing belt change listed. The only scheduled maintenance involving timing belt was listed at the 175,000 miles maintenance and it said this

Check timing belt condition replace if need*

then the “*” at the bottom of the page said

Belt should only be changed in dry dusty climate or coastal areas or in instances the car is started numerous times a day and idles for long periods of time. Remove timing cover inspect for dust and inspect belt condition.

Is this normal? I always thought that at 150,000 belts were pretty shot

i’d replace it. it’s a belt.

Yeah thats my thought pattern. its actually rated easier than the starter replacement and I didn’t find that to be too hard.

I was just wondering if anyone has heard of anything like this before?

Since I’m lazy, I’d inspect it and go from there.

90% of driving people do is never considered to fall under the ‘normal conditions’ category.

I’d rather have the peace of mind knowing that it was changed instead of popping the motor because of the belt snapping.