Timing belt.

Anyone know what thier doing, and want to put a timing belt on for me? as well as set my ignition timing, kinda teach me to do it as well? I dont want to bend any valves, and im scrred to do it myself even with the FSM lawl.

motor: RB20DET.

does that belt look worn pretty badly?

looks okay i think

do you post just for shits and giggles? i hope your joking and know that you cant tell ussually just by looking at a timing belt…

they dont really crack like a fan belt, they strech out over time, and cause your timing to wack out slightly.

its recomended that it be changed every 100 000 kms.

hope that helps more then

It was done 30000kms ago supposedly. Thats what the sticker says. The belt is still very snug, not a lot of play, it still has the same torque as the fsm states for belt tension

I would suggest doing whether or not it still feels tight, you have the cover off and its a great learning experience. Aswell if you arent 100% (supposedly) that it was 30k ago and dont have any service records to prove it, I would go ahead and do it if you feel comfortable. Unfortunately, Im up in Fort Crack and cant help much.

Then again thats my opinion. Its up to you, if the torque/tension specs are good and you arent getting any rough driving issues, then right on.

Well the car is fresh off the boat, only driven from stoney plain to clareview lol. and then parked until now, the water pump is leaking so im swapping that out on saturday. I’ll be winter driving it, and swapping to an rb25 in the spring, so i dont really want to sink ANY money into the 20, if its gunna go, i hope it holds until spring. I only drive it here and there, not a DD so i should be ok.

fuck it put that shit back together then if u are already planning a swap,dont wast time/money on the 20

yea put that shiet back together stop wasting money on the rb20

I need it to last the winter at least, and with the water pump leaking this bad, its not going to.

Best way to check if you did everything right is is to turn the engine over by hand slowly, feeling for resistance. Stick a socketwrench on the crank bolt and turn it over twice (on that engine I believe). After the second revolution line the crank up at TDC and see if the rest of the markings still line up. If they do you’re gravy.

As to setting the ignition timing I have no first-hand knowledge. I just make a mark with a marker on the cover and CAS before I take the CAS off. :lol:

Yea, good advice thanks!

It is 2 turns, ive had confirmation from gtrc on that. I wont be doing it until monday now, DHL SUCKS.