Fireplace questions! (if you're good at masonry, please enter!)

I have a house built in 1923. (not that that’s very relevant)
cliffs at the bottom for those who don’t like to read novels.

Before I purchased the house, they used an old wood stove to heat the home.
Then, they switched out to a propane stove. (looks exactly like a wood stove with same effects, just propane)

Two problems… One, is that it’s inefficent (76%)
Second, is that I get the living room blazing hot and the rest of the house is still cool.

It’s a vented crawlspace, and when I say crawlspace, I mean the dirt below the house is about an inch below the joists… So crawling around underneath is not an option :]
There’s a partial basement under the kitchen that was used as a sistern (also not relevant)

So next summer I’m installing a new furance in the attic (plenty of space) and venting and what not. It will not be tied in with the existing chimney.

Now the real question.
Where the gas furnace currently is, I’d like to have a traditional fireplace built.
I read a lot of good/bad things about these.
Mainly heat loss through a flue when not being used, and having to pull in cold air to exhaust air out.
I would really, really enjoy one. I’ve also found radiators that claim to work well (I have not looked in to them at all however).

It appears as if at one time there was a regular wood burning fireplace there. However, the chimney is a total, absolute pile of dogshit. It’s actually been held up by a jackstand for the last 30 years. Theres vertical cracks running 3-4 feet up, with maybe a 2-3 inch gap in spots, probably more in some other spots… along with plenty of other horizontal cracks to match.
Obviously it needs to be replaced. (there’s a bladder/liner thing running through it currently, they installed it when they put in the propane stove!)

I throw up some pictures in a minute here if I can find some.
The total chimney length is maybe 14 feet I’d say. From the first floor out the roof, poured concrete it looks like.
probably 16"x16", maybe 18x18.

The area around the chimney will be completely gutted at the time…
and I’ll tear the chimney down and remove everything.
Just need someone to replace it.
Can anyone on here do this? or have any masonry hookups?
Or has anyone had it done before and can wager a rough guesstimate?
I would like brick of course… some old school red shit.

As far as air being sucked in the house… is it possible to install a vent around the area of the fireplace, that can be opened/closed when the fireplace is in use/not in use? Preferrably in a spot that wouldn’t lite the crawlspace on fire, haha! :]
Or is this just something that is not even to be concerned with?

CLIFFS.
-Need a 16x16 or 18x18 poured concrete chimney replaced, probably about 14’ in height max.
-Want new wood burning fireplace built
-Room will be completely gutted at the time
-I’ll do the tear down of existing chimney, just need someone to build up a new one

edit;
found a few.
side view, front view, and a shot of the exterior for chimey.
they all suck and can’t really see what I’m showing, but were just pictures while gutting kitch/bath/laundry and had them handy.

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e372/Leety/Mikehouse021.jpg
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e372/Leety/Mikehouse016.jpg
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e372/Leety/Mikehouse078.jpg

edit;
P.S. that brick looking shit behind the heater is just glue on crap that’s attached teh a shitty tounge/groove wall.
It’s not going to be there… as it’s fake. and going to be…gone :stuck_out_tongue: