Ford Focus as a fleet vehicle

The Focus could be a much better car if Ford would do what is needed to make it a better car for us here in America.This was said by Metroplex on crownvic.net.I thought he raised some pretty good points,i felt were worth sharing.

"The Ford Focus is quite roomy for such a small car. Just as a comparison, I can sit in the backseat of my Mustang GT and the only problem there is the headroom (my head is almost up against the ceiling). My leg and knees were fine even with the front seat adjusted for a tall person. I actually found the rear seat bottoms to be quite comfortable.

The Mk 2 Focus / CD1 platform is a very good design. It’s unfortunate that Americans only get access to the obsolete Mk 1 Focus even in 2008, while EVERYONE ELSE IN THE ENTIRE WORLD has access to a Mk 2 Focus. Does it make any sense to have a POS design continue to sell in the US market, where Ford’s HQ is located, while other markets get a much better design? There’s a rather LARGE Focus ST club in Taiwan (of all places) where people were showing off their new Focus ST’s by video taping a convoy driving through the mountains. These ST’s have the 225 hp T5 engine from Volvo. Even Jeremy Clarkson has given his approval of the International Focus ST and even owns a Mk 2 Focus. These are praises for a Mk 2 Focus coming from someone who owns a Lamborghini Gallardo Spyder and previously owned a Ford GT.

The 2008 North American Focus features Microsoft’s SYNC… Great, so rather than spend the money on porting over the CD1 platform for the 2005/2006 MY, they were busy working on some Microsoft POS and other junk like ambient interior lighting to entice younger buyers who will eventually just buy a Japanese car. Heck, even the 2008 NA Focus has an instrument panel layout that seems remarkably similar to the 8th gen (2006-up) North American Honda Civic. In that respect, the UK’s Honda Civic Type R has the same powertrain as the North American Honda Civic Si - VERY snazzy!

Ironically, the Mazda3 and Volvo C30 are built on the CD1 / Mk 2 platform and ARE available in the US. The C30 looks like a$$, and I am waiting for the new 2.5L DOHC I4 with direct injection to be available in the 2009 Mazda3. The Europeans already have the 2.5L DOHC DI I4 engine for their 2008 Mazda3 and Mazda6. The specs indicate 168 hp (2.5L I4) with 34 mpg on the highway. That is 12 more hp than the current 2.3L DOHC MPFI I4 and about 1-3 mpg better fuel economy. Rumor has it that the 2009 2.5L DOHC I4 in the US will get much more power. I can only hope!!!"-Metroplex