Official: Chevy Caprice police car (update civilian version coming?)

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.autoblog.com/media/2009/10/01-caprice-police-press-620op.jpg

It’s a left-hand-drive version of the long-wheelbase, Zeta-platform Holden Caprice/Statesman.

The Caprice Cop Special gets an E85-compatible 6.0-liter V8 dishing out 355 horsepower and 385 lb/ft of torque, and as you’d expect, the engine’s duly ruggedized for police duty with oil, transmission and power steering coolers, along with a heavy duty alternator. And yes, the brakes and suspension are uprated.

Wonder what these will draw at auction.

More Details:
http://www.autoblog.com/2009/10/05/the-cops-get-a-zeta-sedan-gm-unveils-355-hp-chevy-caprice-polic/

about dang time!

I wonder how much a fleet of 6.0 V8 police cars will offset any average MPG/emissions gains we got with cash for clunkers.

The Crown Vics are all body-on-frame 4.6 V8’s, I doubt they get much better mileage.

Yeah, I just fail to see the need for 350+ HP police cars as more and more departments adopt no-chase rules. Have a few for highway chase cars (like having the chase camaro on the 290), but for the majority of daily patrol vehicles for city/town cops a V6 is plenty.

Guess I just look at more and more stuff from the taxpayer angle. When gas goes back up to 4+ a gallon it’s going to piss me off if I see a fleet of 6 liter V8 amherst PD cars rolling around making tint and exhaust stops on my dime.

I also don’t see the point of having big motors in Police vehicles. The pursuit vehicles police have now are no match for even lowly boy-ricer 4cyl. That, and you can’t outrun a radio.

15 city, 24 hwy 18 combined for the G8

16 city, 24 hwy 19 combined for the Crown Vic

I guess you didn’t read the article?

rear-drive sedan that will offer both V-8 and V-6 engines

a V-6 engine will also be offered, beginning in the 2012 model year

Nope… Cliffs?

Red the first three paragraphs then skimmed the rest.

Not hard to miss the 1/2 sentence where it mentions a V6 being available. :wink:

I did find this interesting

and an “undercover” street-appearance package (9C3).

how would a Chevy Caprice be an undercover car, if they are only made for the Cops?

Pontiac badging? :lol:

They could do what a few of the richer towns are doing down here, every day around town cruisers are becoming Hybrid Fusions. Shit one place here the meter maids drive Priuses (or is it Priui?)

meter maids are the perfect customer for a prius… the job is constant stop and go.

Fuck yes, by the time my P71 dies I can get one of these

yes!!

I will f*cking loooose it!!! Oh and be first in line for one when they hit the aution block :ohyeah:

http://www.chevycapriceppv.com/#home

I hope this doesnt lead to a chevy badged G8. Dont get me wrong I want the G8 to be saved but I would rather see the malibu or Impala as a rebadged G8, not another car on GM’s belt.

From the sounds of the video i posted,the Impala will remain in the Police line up.This is good news for city and town police departments.

I can see this new Caprice mainly being used by State and County PD’s.

6 speed auto, IRS, 6.0l V8, afm, amazing, best police car ever!

should be capable of low 13s right out of the box and get mid 20s on the highway