Official: Chevy Caprice police car (update civilian version coming?)

Looks cool… but i am glad our tax dollars are paying for gas guzzlers, when our government is crying about our cars gas mileage.:tdown:

would you rather cops drive boosted hondas? lol

Yeah! Wasteful gov’t spending, woot!

what does GM offer now thats worth the state police picking up?

Oh thats right E85 Pursuit TAHOES. Yeah a big V8 sedan that can take their place in the lineup actually sounds good to me.

However I do hope the Impala eventually is phased out for this as a replacement, be nice to have it built along side the camaro too when the volume of its sales decline.

don’t stock camaro’s run mid low 13s stock? That sucks!

Why would you hope the Impala gets phased out? In general its a good car and has proven its self worthy of a Police/fleet vehicle.

I mean even your Pontiac Grand Prix GTP is just a glorified '04-'05 Impala SS… Maybe GM should just phase Pontiac out,oh wait,they did… :stuck_out_tongue:

the W-body is a great daily driver, don’t get me wrong, but next to the crown vic, not good for most in police duty, and my grand prix has the 90 degree opening doors and all the seats fold flat, perfect for light duty utility.

Also what does it actually compete with anymore? Its smaller than a Malibu and this Caprice could fill the gap chevy is missing big balls sedan, heck like I said in the other thread on the “G8”, this should be buick showrooms as the park ave variant its already sold as in other parts of the world.

how about this for a cop car-

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46834

RS package? Does that mean V6, if so what is the point. 2 door none pursuit vehicle.

Naw, it’s a “trim” level of the SS. Confusing, I know.

Chevy is in a cluster fuck naming the new Camaros. Switching around which is better again (SS or z28?), SS1’s, SS2’s, SS RS’s.

WTF :mad:

There’s RS, SS, SS RS the other way around RS SS, the SS RS have SS written in red, while the standard SS is in white. Kinda upgrades the RS to SS instead of just base maro with a V8 becoming SS. That’s how I was explained it. So you have to take the guys word for it that it has a V8 because nothing with RS badging has a V8 from what I gather.

Nice laser enforcement vehicle :stuck_out_tongue:

the RS package is just basically the halo headlights and darkened tails

the SS can have it or not, if it has the mail slot on the front bumper its a SS= V8

I am still partial to this police car

http://jalopnik.com/assets/images/jalopnik/2008/08/CTS-V_police.jpg

But that was just for the dream cruise.

This has my attention. Stock the performance package ones are running 13.7 1/4mile times. With a tune to turn the boost up 4 psi they are down to 12.74which beats my time by .05 sec at the same mph so not only do I not hold the record any more I was beat by a new taurus with only a tune

I was beat by a gentleman named beefcake
http://www.new-used-ford-cars-trucks-for-sale-bankruptcy-special-financing.com/sho18.jpg

I would very much like the new SHO to make it to police duty but I don’t think ford will be able to package it at the right price point to make it cost effective. Even though ford is going to go on about the safety of AWD and the efficiency of the ecoboost I just don’t think a twin turbo AWD car can be made to compete on the same price point of a RWD N/A V8

:tup: to GM though for putting a affordable RWD V8 on the market for us to play with.

Ford preparing Cops for new Taurus

REPORT: Ford preparing cops for life after Crown Vic, has police sample Taurus
by Chris Shunk on Aug 28th 2009 at 11:30AM

Quick quiz: What vehicle transported Paris Hilton to prison? If you answered Ford’s Crown Victoria Police Interceptor, you took the easy route and you were correct. The older than thou Crown Vic accounts for about 85% of the 75,000 police vehicles sold each year – a market where styling, amenities and new safety features have little to do with the vehicle’s success.

The CV’s body-on-frame construction helps the ubiquitous cop cruiser stand up to the punishment doled out by the guys and gals in blue. Body-on-frame platforms are generally also easier to repair, and anyone who has been in a police parking lot can plainly see that these vehicles take a big-time beating in the name of public safety. The CV is also rear-wheel drive for better handling, it’s large enough to fit even the biggest of felons (and cops), and its column-mounted shifter enables the fuzz to have plenty of room for a laptop. But alas, the Crown Vic is also older than dirt. We’d joke that Henry Ford himself had a hand in the creation of the CV, but chances are that Henry II actually did, and he retired as the head of the Blue Oval when Pong was state-of-the-art video gaming technology.

According to The Detroit News, in June, Ford hosted police personnel from some of America’s biggest cities to discuss the future of the police cruiser. The Dearborn, MI-based automaker told the police departments that the Crown Vic would be gone by 2011. That’s bad news for departments like the LAPD, which has a shop set up specifically to deal with the CV. Some police departments told the Motown newspaper that rear-drive vehicles like the Charger can’t hold up to the abuse of police work. Others are looking into the Impala, though the front-drive Chevy hasn’t gained much traction with law enforcement. One ray of hope could come in the form of the Carbon Motors E7 purpose built police cruiser, but it isn’t quite ready for prime time yet, and it’s likely to be significantly more expensive than the equivalent Blue Oval cruiser.

Ford is in a bit of a predicament in that the Crown Vic has the police (and cab) market to itself and, as Ford President Mark Fields points out to The Detroit News, the CV gives Ford a presence in just about every municipality in America. One vehicle that Ford gave to police to drive during their stay in Dearborn was the new Taurus, which is almost as big and roomy as the CV, but with far more safety tech, improved fuel economy and the (costly) option of an Ecoboost V6 under the hood in the form of the SHO model. The Taurus may not be the ultimate answer (at least it won’t be outrun by a Toyota Camry or Nissan Altima), but Ford insists that it isn’t giving up its police share without a fight.

didn’t they use the Taurus for police cruisers in robo cop?

http://www.taurusclub.com/encyclopedia/Specials/Robocop.html

^ Yes,SSP Taurus’s were used in the Robo Cop movies.

Also Ford offerd SSP Ford Taurus’s in the late 80’s-early 90’s.They were fairly beefy and had the 3.8L OHV V6 motors rated @ 180hp.

so we’re halfway there then.

The only thing i really did not like about the SSP Taurus was how the spotlights were mounted.They were mounted really low and mounted directly to the doors.So basicly when you opened the door the spotlight came out with it.

Also notice the slotted grille,that was part of the SSP package.

Also from what i hear,the new Police Taurus can have the ecoboost motor as an “option”.It will not be the standard motor.Really time will tell what they will most likely have under the hood.

The only car i really give a crap about anyway is the new 9C1 Caprice,nothing else really matters at this point…lol.