Ford Taurus Police Interceptor

More info to come after the Ford makes the announcement in Vegas today.

it would be nice to drive that if your a cop

That computer setup looks awkward.

I was wondering yesterday if they were going to get rid of crown vics finally with the new taurus out.

that looks a hell of a lot more badass and scary than the crown vics

also the crowns are SLOW as BALLS, this would be a step up

The Robocop is pleased

http://societyofdave.com/uploaded_images/RoboCop3-712034.jpg

that is not a SHO in the pic. god i hope they don’t issue the base front wheel drive taurus. I guess they are prertty quick though at 265hp with short gears/

The thing I read was SHO was going to be a HWY pursuit vehicle and the base would be for normal operation.

Since I can’t figure out how to edit the OG post:

The base model gets the 3.5-liter V6 found in other Tauruses with over 263 horsepower and 250+ lb-ft of torque. This naturally aspirated 3.5-liter engine is flex-fuel capable and gets 25-percent better fuel efficiency than the 4.6-liter V8 in the Crown Vic. The base models are available with either front- or all-wheel-drive. The top end pursuit version of the new Police Interceptor gets the full SHO powertrain including its 365-hp twin-turbo EcoBoost 3.5-liter V6 and all-wheel-drive as standard.

The Police Interceptor’s brakes also have 60 percent more swept area than a standard Taurus and 20 percent more thermal mass to help resist fade. While police officers have generally favored rear-wheel-drive cars for their handling characteristics, Ford officials claim the newly calibrated stability control has been tuned to meet their needs.

Inside Ford has optimized the standard Taurus interior for Police Interceptor duty with new seats claimed to offer better comfort while easing egress with smaller lateral bolsters. They even have cut-outs for police-issue utility belts. The transmission shifter has also been moved from the console to the steering column to make room for all the gear that today’s officers require be mounted in the center. Ford has even maintained the same nine-inch width between the seats to allow existing equipment to be mounted from older Crown Vic Interceptors. The switches on the steering wheel can also be re-mapped to control extra aftermarket equipment like lights, sirens and spot-lights.

The Police Interceptor’s back seat has a new roomier bench to make getting prisoners in and out easier. The rear door panels have also been slimmed down to make entry/exit easier and they swing out an extra-wide 71 degrees,10 degrees more than a regular Taurus.

The Taurus is not the only new Police Interceptor coming from Ford this year. Fields promised a second un-named vehicle, though did say it would share most parts with the Taurus and be available in a utility version. That indicates it will be either the Flex or the new Explorer, both of which are based on the same platform as the Taurus.

My 5300lb Crown isn’t slow as balls. Pretty quick imo for a stock, non interceptor Vic.

those headlights are scary

Looks like the future.

http://i2.cdn.turner.com/money/galleries/2010/autos/1003/gallery.ford_police_interceptor/images/ford_police_interceptor1.jpg

Looks nice, but I bet this goes over as well as the Impala did.

I think most places will end up using Tahoes / Expeditions.

My 2006 Crown Vic PI isn’t that slow, probably as fast as a stock 2.5RS.

That’s slow.

I thought unibody cars weren’t going to be accepted by police depts. that already own equipment to straighten out frames?

I hate FWD.

It looks cute.

+1

5300???
is that with 6 in the car and 6 in the trunk??

Oops…4000