^^^ funny because it’s true.

LOL Sad…but true

Found this headline, the actual title is a bit different:

OMG thats great!

awesomeee

like a boss v. tire:

http://i.imgur.com/I3gb5.gif

Go to your home tire!

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-SR-25zcNOv8/T4Uw1gIyQtI/AAAAAAAACWQ/WMfs1eCjOX0/s1600/Happy-Gilmore.jpg

The origins of Family Guy:

https://youtu.be/7H1HYYKplBE

And the one I actually remember seeing on What A Cartoon…

https://youtu.be/caR_5BgEgv8

No way. This is skill. Or could be… just because something is dangerous doesn’t mean it’s a gamble.

A pilot, for example… is he “playing the odds”? No. He is trained for that. Put you or I on the cockpit, and now it’s a significantly better chance of a bad outcome… these guys in the video… we have no idea what type of physical skill they have… they may be operating at 10% of their capacity… In fact, the VARIABLES in this situation are probably less than flying a plane…

Shit, depending on the skill of those guys, this is probably less of a “gamble” than getting behind the wheel of a car… there is tons of shit that’s out of their control on the roads…

While I agree, they are definitely skilled and strong. Common sense is that when you add height, human error and nature into the mix, accidents happen, maybe not often but they do and that’s a fact. If that wasn’t the case OSHA wouldn’t require fall protection beyond 6ft of height. The more you do it the greater the odds for mistakes to happen become. Plane crashes, bungee jumpers, base jumpers, these guys, driving a car, flying on a plane, having sex etc. Mistakes happen, albeit rare, skill will help your outcome but doesn’t stop the shit happens factor, sometimes things are just out of your control. The difference between this and something more mundane is that when you mess up doing this odds are you die. I’d call that a gamble. If you don’t, it’s time to stop base jumping and rope swinging because I’d say you don’t respect the risk that is involved and it will catch up with you.

They look like they are having fun doing it, and good for them. I couldn’t do it.

A lot of the things I do are a gamble. I’m saying this, specifically, wasn’t so much of one.

Doing pull-ups over a 500 foot drop has very few variables. If the dude can normally do 50 pullups, doing 10 over a killer drop is potentially safer than walking to the store, where there are so many more variables…

The point of my post is that just because something is dangerous doesn’t mean it’s a gamble.

what you’re saying is that the weight of consequences is less important to you than the odds of occurring.

E[X] = x1p1 + x2p2 … xnpn

Goes perfect with your picture on here lol.

That’s not the point I was trying to make. I wasn’t trying to make a point about myself at all, actually… carnut was the one who brought it there…

I was saying that doing pull-ups over a huge drop isn’t “odds you can’t play forever”… with the right skill and training, it’s probably safer than a lot of “normal” things… people just are afraid of it because it seems “unusual”…

It’s just an interesting subject for me. I think people in general are not afraid of the odds, they are afraid of the consequences (I know I am). Increasing the odds of success would do a lot less to encouraging me to try this compared to putting a net under it.

I just thought of a fun one: imagine a billion dollar lottery prize but there is catch. they draw twice and the first person wins, the second gets put to death. Would you play?

The fact that I’ve been chewing food all my life and still manage fuck up and bite my lip occassionally keeps me from having any interest in doing shit like that.

There was a pro wakeboarder a few years ago who died doing a 180. No life jacket on, fucked up the jump, went under and never re-surfaced. He was so good at wakeboarding that 180’s were only using about 1/10th of his potential skill. Shit happens, he fucked it up and now he’s dead. So while you have a point, it’s not as cut and dry as “walking to the store is safer”.

Obviously that is unusual, but if he had exercised safe habits and put on a life vest, he’d probably be alive right now.

I’m willing to bet that if the consequences to biting your lip were higher than “ouch, that sucks” then it wouldn’t happen.

Same as above. He was probably fucking around, careless, lazy… the consequences probably weren’t even considered… I’m willing to bet that those guys were very aware of the consequences, and on top of their game, both physically and mentally…

fair point