Garage Door Opener

The one in my house is old, loud, and chain driven. It doesnt have the safety sensors, or the exterior key pad either.

I want to get a new one (belt driven) was wondering if the installation would be easy for a novice.

They are real easy, just a bit time consuming. It is much easier to hang if you have two people, but can be done by yourself using two ladders. I installed a 3/4 HP Chamberlain belt drive and it is nearly silent.

Do make sure that you check the spring on your door, that is the most critical part of the system as the opener is not designed to lift the door.

so i just swap out the motor and chain, i dont have to do anything else with the track or door?

http://www.lowes.com/pd_248739-38782-G248739_4294858020_4294937087_?productId=3041396&Ns=p_product_qty_sales_dollar|1&pl=1&currentURL=%2Fpl_Garage%2BDoor%2BOpeners_4294858020_4294937087_%3FNs%3Dp_product_qty_sales_dollar|1&facetInfo=

Here is the one I got at Lowe’s… fairly easy to install, and includes two remotes (one for you and the wife) and an exterior “wireless” pad… love it and would totally recommend it.

edit: grammar :slight_smile:

---------- Post added at 03:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:33 PM ----------

I would use what your new one gives you… you can probably use the same holes for the brackets too!

You have to swap out everything. The belt and chain drive are completely different. The above opener is great but can be had for about $120 if you shop around.

I just bought a new craftsman .5 hp with 2 remotes and keypad for 143 iirc. I need to take down my old craftsman and put up the new up. I know the tracks are different in my case

Are you going from a chain to belt ? Let me know how the install goes.

nope chain to chain. my garage isnt attached so I didnt really care about it being quiet lol