Gateway Recovery

I have a Gateway Notebook model MT6451.
I want to recover it to factory settings.
Any way to do that?
Besides buying the disk?

is the hard drive shot? if not you should be able to push f11 on boot by default.

Ya this is one thing I hated about my gateway. No recovery cd. I had to go online and search manually for all my drivers and then use the Windows disk that comes with it.

No the hard drive is still good, but there is no F11 option just F2 and F10

I didnt get a windows disk with it.

Intresting… I didn’t get a driver CD and the site was worthless trying to find them but I at least got a Vista CD with it to install the OS.

Can’t you recover from the hard drive?

Many OEMs image the hard drive onto a recovery partition, that you don’t need a CD to recover…

If you clobbered the recovery partition, then…
You need to call and get the recovery cd and the drivers cd.

If you would have called and bitched when you first got the computer, they usually send it for free.

Now they will charge you for each cd. I haven’t dealt with gateway, but toshiba is like 40 bucks or something…

Yea and when i called gateway they wanted to charge $59 a minute to walk me through the 1/2 hour process(total $1770) I told them that they were out their minds, so then they offered to send a recovery disk as she put it “a small fee of $350” so after that i just hung up.

Wow that is shitty. The CD key is usually on the bottom of your laptop or PC. You just need to download a CD that matches what version is there. If its vista home premium I can let you borrow mine.

is it the microsoft tag on the bottom?

I have 2 HP notebooks, 1 gateway notebook and 1 gateway desktop. Neither gateway came with it. Being that Hp is cool about everything they just sent me my cd’s for free.

Ya it should have a bar code with your CD key and then it will saw like Windows XP Home or Vista home Premium or some other type OS listing. You at least can just get CD online or from someone to reinstall the OS.

Windows Vista Home Premium OEMAct Gateway so where is the site for the cd?

ok, try hitting f8 on bootup, (to get to the safe mode/boot option menu) there should be a “repair my computer” option at the top. Hit that. Let it boot up to the screen where you see the startup repair, system restore, etc etc, at the bottom should be recovery console/center. Hit that and go through the process.

If you don’t get the f8 menu, then you will need to use a vista install disc (ANY 32 bit non cracked vista install disc will work. doesnt need to be oem, or premium!) and you will never have the recovery console again…

lol, the f11 was on mine, but i forgot it was because i use the acronis console, the standard gateway is the f8, repair, and then recovery console. You’d think i’d remember that since i do it everyday at work…