Gm making a bid to take over Chrysler

General Motors is likely to become the new owner of the Chrysler Group. That’s according to reports in the financial press today, which suggest that DaimlerChrysler bosses and investors would be happy with a deal that included a significant shareholding in GM in return for Chrysler.

Source: Speedtv.com

Discuss.

uh oh

Uh, does anti-trust legislation come into play here?

Chrsyler = what exactly.

Wouldn’t this give GM control of Dodge, Chrysler and any other car manufacturers they own?

what’s bad becomes worse.

Personally, I dont see this happening.

lol, lets buy a sinking ship to add some weight to ours lol too funny

gm would just be buying the chrysler name not diamler chrysler. i personally think it seams like a horrible move as far as gms concern. they need to redesign and make something out of the company instead of buying more dead weight. i find the chrysler line of vehicles to be less appealing then any gm line

GREAT, lets have a half failing company and abosrb a company thats in full failure mode… hrm…

but i do see significant cost savings, and the ability to eat ones rival

i dont see anti trust coming into play because there are ALOT of competitors out there

maybe they are anticipating ford going under in two years and all the die hard domestic buyers wouldnt have any choice but gm?

Automotive news is reporting that GM may actually be PAID billions to take over Chrysler. GM doesn’t want Chrysler to end up being owned by China. Sorry, two hurting companies together just make one bigger doomed company.

Interesting I’d imagine some interesting logic behind this such as the China one above.

To expand on the previous analogy…

“Let’s bring this container full of lead onto our sinking ship, I’m sure that will help the problem”.

That’s how I feel about it. GM has too many brands all selling the same shitty vehicle, not too few. So does this mean the next Charger will be a FWD V6 with a torque steering nightmare FWD V8 option?

i’d like to see what exactly they’re discussing with this sale. The majority of Chrysler’s current and upcoming models share stuff with the Benz parts bin and are engineered by them. Seems like they’re pretty deeply connected with daimler. When the germans bought the whole company, that was pretty easy, they took everything, but what stays and what goes?

:wstupid:

Wow…

The ship is sinking, but what is worse?

a) Adding more dead weight to the sinking ship.
b) Having the sinking ship sail in a hurricane rather than a tropical storm.

GM and Ford cannot afford The WLMRT Effect to come to the automotive industry just yet. I’m not sure if other automobile makers can either.

:biglaugh:

I can see that happening. I don’t see how GM is even considering this. they have enough problems of their own, if anything this will make their current reputation even worse in the domestic market.

Not really. GS platform is Mitsubishi. That includes the Sebring/Avenger, Caliber, Patriot, Compass, and whatever crossover they’re making for Chrysler and Dodge. The trucks share nothing with DB’s, aside from a diesel engine in the GC (Liberty CRD has been cut due to not being able to meet the new emissions policy). The engines are exclusive to both companies. That leaves 3 vehicles on the LX platform. No engines yet, although they are developing at V6, however that’s not as intricate as sharing an entire car.

http://waffleimages.nwpshost.com/files/b8/b8d1906d64aee8e6420219018a4279f37a5a0eb7.jpg

did they discontinue the crossfire, AKA last gen SLK already? I haven’t really paid much attention.

That’s produced by Karmann, and I don’t think they are planning a replacement.