GM Pushrod help

i have raised pushrod guide plates in my heads, when attempting to set the valve lash i noticed the pushrods started to rub pretty bad on the guide plates.

so much so that i couldn’t even rotate the rods or move them up and down to hit zero lash

What the fuck?

They are the correct size (both rods & plates) Anyone have any idea why they would do this? I’ve read that i could need longer pushrods?

Sounds like the geometry is slightly off. Are they rubbing on one particular side? They make adjustable guideplates so you can center the opening around the pushrod perfectly. What heads?

Just use a hammer until the problem goes away.

my guides were cut and welded so everything was perfect. its not uncommon to have to do this. also, pushrod length should not be a guess. you should know your pushrod length via measurements from mock up.

World products sportsman II’s

cam is:

Intake Duration at 050 inch Lift: 241
Exhaust Duration at 050 inch Lift: 249
Duration at 050 inch Lift: 241 int./249 exh.
Advertised Intake Duration: 284
Advertised Exhaust Duration: 292
Advertised Duration: 284 int./292 exh.
Intake Valve Lift with 1.5 rockers 0.525 in.
Exhaust Valve Lift with 1.5 rockers 0.546 in.

Lunati Valve Train

73925-16 Springs
75794-16 Retainers
77048-16 Locks
78518-16 Seals
86731-16 Locators
#73925 Dual Valve Spring

1.306" O.D.
0.676" I.D.
153 lbs. @ 1.810" Seat Load
400 lbs. @ 1.150" Open Load
0.660" Maximum Valve Lift

Pushrod guides are 5/16 raised Pushrods are 7.800’’ 5/16 diameter

it’s strange because half the pushrods will move freely within the guides, yet the other bind up even when moving them by hand, this happens with the guides both installed & trying to set lash, and uninstalled rotating / sliding them up and down by hand.

I have used this same camshaft before, with the same rockers & pushrods on the 385 that i sold my boss and never had a problem until i put the raised guides in

---------- Post added at 03:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:44 PM ----------

I’m going to check the wipe pattern later today, It was fine before but i haven’t measure it since installing the guides (Which raised the rocker studs up a bit) I guess i overlooked this, Could this cause a problem?

What lifters? Might have foulex up the pushrod seat of the lifter.

Lunati hyd. Came with the cam.

Checked the wipe pattern, its perfect with the guides.

LS motor will fix it :tup:

“it’s strange because half the pushrods will move freely within the guides, yet the other bind up even when moving them by hand, this happens with the guides both installed & trying to set lash, and uninstalled rotating / sliding them up and down by hand.”

So the pushrods are binding up even without the guides installed?

If so, this points to an issue with the pushrod seats on either the lifter or rocker, or the ball on the pushrod is fouled up.

If they bind with the guides but are fine without the guides, that says the guides are messed up and need to be cut/welded.

Sorry i’ll clarify, they bind at the ends when i have the pushrod & guide in my hands sliding them in and out, but only certain rods / guides

I can mix & match the rod/guide and get them all to move freely.

They also bind (but not completely bind) when the pushrods are installed and the guides are also installed, again i can move the rods around and get everything moving freely.

I’ve started to unbolt the rocker studs and re installing the guides, pushing down on one end so they center uniformly. So far its working better.

Or the guides were meant for thinner pushrods…

If it were me… I’d break out the mics and calipers and start measuring the ODs of the pushrods and the gaps of the guides. See what’s not right/consistent.

The guides are all kinds of fucked.

They go from. 5 thou too small to 10 thou too big

pushrods are all within .2 of each other

well, there’s your issue!

They’re hardened steel, think its worth filing them down?

I’d either do the file, or find someone with a mill.