GM Valet Mode

I’ve read the PDR violates some state laws already in different states across the U.S.

It doesn’t matter in NY, we are a “one party consent” state. If I know that I am recording you then the recording is legal. I really like this feature.

Well the other argument with recording people is if there is a reasonable expectation of privacy and I would assume a parking lot isn’t one of those places.

I think its sweet, its your property you should be able to record it.

Regardless of expectation of privacy or not if you live in a 2 party consent state it’s illegal to record audio without the consent of the party you’re recording. Video is fine though so I’d expect GM to release an update soon that gives the dealers an option to disable the audio portion of the recording.

You guys keep quoting wiretap laws btw

I thought it was cool at first but seems like a lot of fucking overkill just to valet your car

I’d just use it to record myself doing chicks in my new vette.

If you weren’t old and married

Right? haha in reality I’d be recording my self drinking a vanilla milkshake.

I’d rather have it limit speed and rpm.

There’s a much simpler way. Small note taped to the steering wheel that says “I have a data recorder with GPS on board. Thanks for being careful with my car”

Done.

I mean this is really just a bonus feature to all the track data recording stuff the new corvette offers

because that’s what the audio portion of the recording system falls under legally.

Man I guess I better kill the audio anytime I record video in public…

I think this is great and should be easy to implement on other vehicles from the factory.

Some vehicles already have valet modes that limit RPM, lockout first gear (no burnouts) and limit or add other functions like aggressive traction control. GM is actually doing less here to limit the cars than some; all they’re doing is adding a built in recording feature. If anyone wants this they could just get a BlackView camera like @bing and have more functionality.

And I’m going to be lazy and not look this up, but I’m fairly certain that “wiretap” laws cover not only audio and video but movement (GPS, telemetry) as well.

Like it’s been said, NY is a one party consent state so you’ll have no problem using it here.

Generally no, it’s just audio. I think that’s why so many video surveillance systems don’t capture audio.

http://www.dmlp.org/legal-guide/massachusetts-recording-law

My friend got some tunes for his G37s and they included a valet mode where it wont let the car go over xxxxrpm and wont go over 30mph. They include that in the vette that way “lead foot” cant go romping on the car.

A lot of aftermarket tuners have a valet mode. That doesn’t record data/lock compartments though.