GM

it was inevitable

the company’s assets split into “Good GM” and “Bad GM,” the latter of which will be liquidated.

Good GM : Corvette
Bad GM : Not Corvette :smiley:

Good! GM = Garbage

Ex.
Moms Sunfire 140,000km Blown Motor
Co-workers Malibu 170,000km Blown Motor
Brothers Integra 340,000 still running strong, nothing changed except oil in last 45,000km

My civic has 390,000km and it’s still running strong. VTEC still hits in strong too.

who would of thought 10 15 20 years ago that GM would be filing for bankruptcy… its pretty fucked up

they’re not going anywhere.

yes they’re closing/liquidating some of their brand names (Pontiac, Saturn are both gone, and Opel was sold to a Russian company last week, etc.) and dealers, but the plan is for the company to downsize and become more under the US government’s control, NOT for it to close entirely.

so don’t think that there won’t be any more GM vehicles produced after this all goes through. we can all wish and hope for that, but it will probably never happen…as much as i hate 99.9% of their vehicles, it would admittedly be pretty weird without them around…

Opel hasn’t been sold yet. The government gave them the go-ahead to sell to either a russian company or magna (a canadian company). So far no word on what their plan is for sure, but I could see it going to Magna. Which would be a good thing.

2 cars out of billions. That is your evidence? Maybe your co worker and mom should do maintenance. Malibu I guarantee was not a blown motor. Intake gasket for sure. Sunfire…2.2? Head gasket with a bottom end knock, she will still truck on for another 200,000kms. 2.4? okay, they are shit lol

Everyone can rag on whatever manufacturer they want, but it all comes down to maintenance. PERIOD.

Every company has their POS.

GM is not gonna dissapear. Dont kid your self.

yeah man you’re right, my bad.

my dad was telling me about this yesterday and now i do remember him saying it hadn’t been sold yet, and that Magna was making a bid.

Chris - you’re so right. i’ve heard both horror AND love stories about the Sunfire. my ex-boss had a '96 2-door, 2.2 with 370,000 on it. bought it new, and has only done regular maintenance on it (regular brake changes, clutch, oil changes etc.) and it still runs like a top.

then i hear other stories of them blowing up at 120k.

it all comes down to whether you take care of it or not. ANY car will be a piece of shit if you don’t take care of it.

General Motors is changing their name to…Goverment Motors bahahaha

As much as i hate some of their cars my parents 04’ Impala has 300K on it, i use to beat the shit out of that car too, parents don’t do any maintenance on the poor thing either, didnt get an oil change in literally 25K. Water pump needed replaced twice.

GO FORD!

Magna already bought a percentage of Opel and are planning to bring the cars here rather soon:
http://www.wheels.ca/reviews/article/615390

Everyone has their own opinion.

Few years back when I was in school, I bought a DA9 Integra to commute, it had 275,000km and a light front end collision. I replaced the smashed parts for $250 and pulled out the frame, I ended up putting 100,000km kms on it only changing the oil and front brakes. At 380,000kms I brought it to the wreakers because it was getting really rusted out. But everything still worked, all the power windows, cruise control sunroof, everything.

I could go on for hours about this, bottom line I’ll never buy GM.

Put it this way. I have had S-10’s road worthy and still running like BRAND NEW with over half a million miles. Original motors and tranny’s.

Customer with a 3500 Ram Cummins rolled over the odometer. Mind you he went through tranny’s rear ends and transfer cases like a mofo. The motor was a champ (too bad it’s not Chryslers!!!:P)

My 240 has 280 almost. For it’s mileage it is in exceptional shape.

I have done motors on all kinds of Ford with well under 100k. Ford’s are complete junk. They are not very service friendly either. Not at all actually.

Honda even…blown motors, transmissions! (don’t even get me started) and water leaks…Honda is by far the worst for water intrusion.

Nissan…well we all know.

etc etc etc

^^ agree, Id rather a company with a good rep then bad. When it comes down to it do you really want a car that everybody says is “Unreliable” compared to a civic, or a corolla. Not a hard choice.

Nothing against gm, but they did nothing to adjust. Which is why they are were they are. GG GM

My girlfriend bought a 2008 Pontiac G5, one month before I met her :mad:. To date her rear driver’s side window stopped working, both rear bearings needed to be changed (We couldn’t even have a conversation in the thing), her outside temp gauge is EXTREMELY off and on top of everything else they install “Hankook” rubber from the factory and hers is the fully loaded one with 16 inch alloys and factory Pioneer system. Now we can’t even sell it since GM vehicles depreciate like a mother fucker. She owes well over 25% more than the car is actually worth, and that’s if someone would even buy it.

Now please tell me why GM has filed for Bankruptcy yet Burlington Toyota is completing an addition to the dealership and Burlington Nissan just threw up a brand new dealership. All during a recession…

You fail…HARD my friend.

Everyone is struggling.

Dealerships adding aditions or opening new auto malls really has nothing to do with them struggling or not. GM just opened I believe it was 13 dealerships this year.

Lol, thanks for your call on me “failing” I’ll take it to heart, trust me :wink:

ive honestyly never had any issues with my gm car, has over 200,000 kms i beat the crap outta it every year, taken it off roading, slammed it into a bunch of snow banks screwing around. and have beaten the crap outta the motor only changin oil when i am not being completely lazy. and still runs perfectly. most reliable car ive ever owned. however its boring as hell to drive :wink:

Everyone is struggling but to what point… they opened 13 dealerships but closed 100?

i just hope GM today doesn’t use the same practices they did when they built my 85 vette… its joke how they assembled stuff from factory