Google 1GB internet connections

I don’t think people understand what it takes to aggregate 1Gb fiber links…

The construction costs for fiber is also big $$$$

I also did some searching and back in 2007 Google was making their own 10GigE switches

Edit Edit: http://www.websiteoptimization.com/bw/0908/ is also interesting

Most of their side projects have really low take rate. It’s all free anyway so meh, but when companies get over-extended, the first thing investors want is to get rid of products outside their core competencies, they believe in the GE model. “If we can’t be #1 or #2 in a field, get out.” As long as the company is so successful they’re fine though.

I remember VZ was saying they had dropped $40B back near the end of '07 on building on FIOS and had another $100B planned for it.

Well tell them to spend the money to go up one block to my house, assholes.

Seems like they stopped spending anything. I haven’t heard any progress on bringing it to Cheektowaga in years but I saw fiber along the 33 being buried 2 years ago…

The thing is Verizon already has facilities they also have fiber and a network in place.

Not to mention most of their customers are getting 20/20 bandwidth.

I was hoping someone would jump in and throw out some new technology or product that could make this happen…I haven’t got anyone into a debate on this topic I tried OT and a few other forums.

yea, thats your area of expertise, not mine.

we start talking machine to machine connections, airlink modems, or symbol units, and im your man.

data plans?

those all take data plans, but they are not free. fggt.

Geehee WiMax???

now rolling out for 100k-500k people!!

TW offers WiMax in some areas now I hope it comes here

symbol units as in the scanning hardware?

hey maybe they’ll pass out LTE “worldphones” for when you travel. Like, to EA.

yea. specifically the cellular embedded ones.

LTE totally seems like the better technology, plus, its already got the backing from the heavy hitters (carriers).

kinda like HD DVD vs Blue Ray.

Can i has some free mc55?

lol, i just deal with making the solutions happen on the wireless side of things.

ahh we use mc50s at most of our locations but the olympics has a few hundred 55s none of them using anything other than wifi. Would be cool to put them on a wireless network though and eliminate the need for the shitty symbol access points.

Google Fiber in Buffalo?

http://wnymedia.net/wnymedia/smith/2010/02/google-fiber-in-buffalo/