Google Announces Free Turn By Turn

If you have data on your phone, there’s no worry. Shit, I use my phone as my internet when I’m on the road. I don’t really see the problem.

I love the google maps application on my bb

I dont see the data being too much of an issue, if it is, google maps without turn by turn has never let me down.

I take it you don’t travel anywhere rural then.

Yea, if youre in a 1x only area, it might be sketchy…

you are an idiot, and completely missed his point about cell coverage.

however, jays, your extended data coverage really comes down to carrier.

Have tmo? fogettaboutit.

ATT/VZW? You’re probably good.

:bigclap:

Satellite view, constantly updating traffic, voice search, street view… these are all bandwidth intensive services.

This is where Verizon’s superior 3g coverage is going to shine though. If it really is as good as their map shows anyway. Maybe it will kick AT&T in the ass to speed up their 3g expansion.

even when I have my gps, I ALWAYS print out google maps directions on a long trip.

Yea lots of place don’t have shit for data/cell coverage

to bad you can’t cache maps for areas

Im sure thats just a matter of time though. Its not like the hardware is lacking the ability right?

No reason most phones couldn’t store maps…

I have had this happen a couple times in Virginia and the Adirondacks where GPS has your location on a big blank map :frowning:

Well thats more of a result of a satellite triangulation error right? Im asking because I obviously dont understand tech stuff like you do.

GPS uses triangulation via satellites to figure out where you are…then gives that input to Google Maps App and pulls the correct map for your area from the internetz.

I assume the issue with downloading the map is going to be google believes in living in the cloud.

Yeah but so what im sying is, all GPS lose service to some extent in the mountains because there is something obstructing one of the satellites. So even if you have a normal garmin or tom tom it happens. So pretty much any device is useless right?

Unless youre saying youre better off being on a map that has you on the wrong road or shows you the general area, over no map at all… but then again, if your route is cashed on this device, it shouldnt be an issue anyways?

Once again, I dont understasnd this stuff too much, im just following logic from what I do understand.

GPS rarely loses signal though, even in the mountains. There are over 20 GPS satellites in orbit and a GPS receiver only needs to find 3 for triangulation.

Real world examples, I have an iPhone with Google maps and the TomTom GPS app. There are tons of times the google maps app will just show me as a blue dot on an undrawn grid. GPS knows exactly where I am on the planet, but because the google maps app can’t download the google maps tile for that GPS coordinate it shows nothing. The tomtom app on the other hand always shows me on a perfectly drawn app because it’s pulling the maps directly from the phone’s hard drive. Even if the GPS signal gets poor the app has logic to guess what road you’re on and snap the little indicator to that road so it doesn’t show you driving through a field.

You probably saw my roadtrip thread about blasting through the adirondacks. Even with the mountains and the trees that pretty much covered the road my GPS never lost my position. For much of that drive I had spotty cell coverage and zero data coverage so the google GPS would have been useless.

Oh…

Well in my experience I have been “driving through a field” several times in the Adirondacks, once with a TomTom and once with a Garmin… weird.

Was your GPS updated with the newest maps?

I had this happen on the way to VA when highways were moved over and I maps did not get updated.