Help a welding noob

oh i know!!

im pretty confident about this. Ive been spending all day everyday reading about it. I know of a few ppl who are gonna be helping me out.

im pretty confident in my abilities to pick this up. im more focused on getting strong welds then nice looking ones. but it will all pull itself together. thanks again man!! im sure that having good equipment will help ALOT

alrighty

welder is all up and running.

Just wanna say that Don is the man for hooking me up this welder. It works really well and he gave me a great price on it

Also, Rodger’s welding supply down on N. Fillmore is the shit. If u need anything go there, they are super helpful with teh noobs. he hooked me up too.

Got some charge pipes successfully(but not too gracefully) welded up. Pics to come, and more great project to come as well.

:tup:

so im bringing this thread back. i want to get into welding. and i have some ideas on what i want to use. my friends dad is an excellent welder, and welds with a stick welder…and the welds come out awesome. he also said that these stick welders can accomodate both mig and tig applications…

so my question is this: can i buy aluminum, stainless, and mild steel rod for a stick welder and be able to weld all of them?

i also notice that the stick welder is really tuff to use on thinner gauge material such as exhaust pipes. so what would be reccomended for a good all-around type of welder? something i can weld 1/8" thick walled manifolds, but also exhaust pipes? and have them all be strong?

found a good site on tips for tig welding:
http://www.artsautomotive.com/HowToWeldAluminum.htm

I think you’d be happy with a little 110V ‘buzz box’. I think you can buy the push pull guns for the 110’s now- so you can run alumn. To the best of my knowledge you can’t stick weld alumn. I haven’t stick welded in like 11 years and really never got into it so I could be wrong. . . If you buy a TIG machine and a plasma, your good to go to do any little project you need to do.

^ could you elaborate a little bit with some pics/examples? lol. i think i know what your saying, but at the same time the manifolds o throw together are about 1/8" wall tubing…would a 110v buzz box have strong penetration through something that thick?

someone should really hold a small welding class lol.

i think my milermatic 175 mig welder can do up to like 1/4" or sumn

If it was me fixing the manifold, I would grind the crack out a little bit so the weld has someplace to go and bond without just sitting ontop of the manifold. I think a 110 can go up to about 1/4 inch. I can remember one of my first welding jobs, I had to weld 3/16 pipe to 1/8 plate. . .and I didn’t have any problems. But then again it was a small part, and got hot very fast, where as a bigger part will take alittle while to get hot.

im not talking about cracks though…making them from scratch. but thats cool if it can do it. would i be able to snag one of these at say harbor freight?