hockey players step inside.. quick few questions

Just recently started playin ice hockey again. Haven’t since I was a kid. I got good equipment but skates I knew were going to be a pain in the ass.

Im 5’6 165lbs.I wear size 8.5 in sneakers I have narrower ankles and feet. So when I went out and got skates I figured since I havent skated in years and needed something cheap to get me by while I relearn Id go to dicks and see what they had. I ended up grabbing a 65$ pair of nike bauer cheap model supremes. Ive been out skating a few times and these skates are way too wide and just wont get tight enough around my ankles so my ankles bend in really bad and make my skating pretty bad.

what correct size skate should I be wearing? I heard bauers are wider skates. I know grafs are the best for narrower feet and ankles but im not dropping $500 on skates right now.

any help would be much appreciated right now. I just need a point in the right direction of where to go to possibly get sized for the correct skates and what kind of skates are good for narrower ankles.

More importantly…how are you tying the skate? Are you wearing thick socks? They seem to be trivial questions but the fact is that if your foot is loose inside the skate that will hurt you more than having a slightly wider skate.

When I play I criss-cross the laces around my ankle and tie back in front. This helps give me more stability.

i lace them as tight as I can and wear thicker socks and crossed them behind my ankle and back and it helped a little but def not enough still too much ankle room forcing my ankles to bend inward

paging coldaccord

dude knows a TON about hockey equipment and fit

forgot all about him!

take the chassis and blade off then bake it and mold it to your feet

It would probably be worth your time to just go to Great Skate to try on some different pairs and get a feel for what size is good. If I remember correctly, Bauer skates are usually good for the typical sized foot. I always wore CCM because they tend to run a bit wider and I have a wide foot. What size Bauers do you have right now? That would give us a reference point as to where you should go. Hopefully you didn’t match your sneaker size, since most hockey brands run smaller skate sizes than sneaker size.

Wax laces help…Got them in my inlines.

nobody can tell you what skates will fit you on the internet…

Go to great skate, and try on some skates…

Dont wear thick socks for hockey… it disconnects your foot from the boot, and will cause a poor fit…

good socks should be thin for hockey… make sure you bring the socks you will wear for hockey to great skate so you can properly be fitted… also, get some skates that have bake able plastics… to help with the fit…

I have the opposite problem. My feet are a bit wide and it’s tough for me to find skates wide enough not to leave blisters. Bauer and CCM tend to run wide. I’m not sure about other brands, but Mission’s tend to run narrow. Good luck.

I ended up getting a pair of mission fuels from buffalo sports on mckinley. 60$ sharpened with a fresh pair of wax laces. Feel 100 times better. there is barely any play with my ankles and it feels like they wont even be able to bend inward anymore. So much better. Guys there were pretty helpful.

I wear size 8.5 in sneakers. The nikes were size 7s and way too wide.

The mission fuels I got are size 8s and fit perfect. I was def intrigued by missions because there the only skate company that coincides with your sneaker size to the most possible way.

this should solve my problem thanks for the help guys.