Looking for New Ice Skates

I currently own a pair of Bauers that ran me like $125. Nothing great and when I tie them like a normal pair of shoes my feet cramp up and I need to wear them loose around my foot and tight around my ankle. Was wondering if anyone has any advice to what a good skate would be in the range of $200-$250. I was looking at the RBK 5k. I would probably need a E width because I have wide feet. Also I noticed that great skate only carries D width and how am I going to figure out if a E width would be a better fit?

Reeds in fort erie had whatever they had left on sale last time I went there, and they carry various widths.

however, if you can’t find anything there figure out what size/width you are (it varies a bit by brand) and check out hockeymonkey.com. Their clearance section is pennies on the dollar.

Also, canadian specialty stores carry a rbk skate called the talon, comparable to the 5k and pretty easy to find up there.

ebay has great deals too. I got a pair of pro stock nikebauer one90’s for $340, it’s a $600 skate. My goalie skates are ccm pro tacks off ebay. paid $130, they’re a $550 skate.

yea there are a lot of good deals online, but its hard to know whether or not the skates will fit good. try going to great skate or wherever, try on different skates from the manufacturer you want, just to see what size you would be in there skate. (try on the 9k, then buy the 5k online now that you know what your size is.) ive liked my new XXV’s so far i fit in a D width and i have a pretty wide foot, i needed a EE for the One90’s. the XXV’s only cost me $289 in a retail store, you can probably find a better deal online.

I’ve had the 5K’s for 2 years now and really like them. Looked at Vapors and Grafs and like the 5K the best.

Here’s some on sale:
http://www.hockeymonkey.com/rbk-hockey-skates-5k-white-sr.html

thanks. I looked at these already. Im a size 12 regular show so in rbk id be a 10.5.

anyone have ideas where to get a good price on rbk skates???

little warning though. I had the 9k’s and didn’t like them; flat footed, narrow foot w/wide heel, and noticeably heavy. got the one90’s instead

Rbk actually has a very high arch like a CCM (they own CCM). The major difference is that the RBK skate is made to be wider through the arch and heel, thats what gives it the flat footed feel, but when you skate on them and if you don’t have much of an arch your foot is going to be quite sore. They also have the unique CCM mold which is designed for a foot that the toe box (knuckles of your foot) aren’t wide, they pretty much have to be the same size as your heel. Whereas the Bauer fit is designed like a “V” narrow heel and wider toe box area. They are on the heavier side compared to most companys, but that is due to the fact they use a metal matrix through the quarter package and thicker foam, so their skate is more durable and protective.

Have you gotten sized at all or had a specific skate reccomended to you? If not stop up there and talk to one of the more experienced salesmen when they aren’t busy and they will help you out.

GS is having their summer sale in a few weeks and they might have something in the tent which opens on Wednesday the 13th and is for all of the closeout products, so you may be able to find a good deal on something under the tent.

stop up where??? great skate???

i hate rbk products

RBK skates are made by CCM. If you pull out the tongue of my 5K is clearly says CCM and has their logo on it.

id say go with eastons i skated on them my whole life most comfortable imo

You need to try them on whatever you buy. Everyone’s foot is different so pick the skate that’s comfortable for YOU.

^wrd.
the s15’s are nasty, but I keep hearing from people that they were having problems with the boot cracking.

just go to hockeymonkey, see if you can get a last years model (make sure you try them on somewhere though)

I have flat feet, from always wearing skate shoes and ice hockey skates. Bauer’s > imo

Agreed that’s what you should be in

Yes, everyone has their own opinions on what the best skate company or hockey manufacturer is, but in all honesty I’ve been an employee at G.S. for the last 7+ years and have been the store manager for the last 2 1/2, every skate company has faults, noone makes the perfect skate, it’s all on how they fit you, and then pick out the right level skate for you, and that depends on how much you skate on them now, and what level have you played at. Easton has had problems with their composite mold on the Stealth series skates, but they take care of anyone who has a problem up to a year with proof of purchase. That’s the only major problem with any of the skates we currently have.

I may be in tomorrow to check some out. Im going to be buying them in store but not yet. I have to get the money first. Would you help me out or is there someone there I could ask for help with?

Any of the guys that are here can help you out, I’ll be here from 3-close so if you want to see me you can, I may reccomend some skates to try on and I’ll let my staff take over from there, but for the most part all of my staff can assist you.

Okay thanks. Do you guys have any E width sizes???

Yah we do, in the current 5k pump, and then through Bauer and Easton we have a few different models that we can set you up in, we’ll have you try on a few and then just narrow down the choices to what fits and feels good on your foot.